cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does netflix think im using vpn

Nic88
Tuning in

Netflix will not work correctly and they are saying it is due to using proxy server or VPN. I haven't changed anything with the broadband today so unsure why this has happened? Could anyone advise please 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'm trying to view netflix via a smart TV and a mobile phone app. After speaking to netflix directly they have advised the reason I'm now suddenly unable to view selected shows and films is because my broadband is going via a proxy server or vpn. This has never been an issue before and they advised me to contact Internet provider as it is not an issue on their part. 

I am able to access everything whilst using my phones mobile data so its definitely an issue somewhere with the broadband. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

46 REPLIES 46

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

More info needed.

where are you accessing it and from what sort of device?

and what is the exact error you are getting?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I'm trying to view netflix via a smart TV and a mobile phone app. After speaking to netflix directly they have advised the reason I'm now suddenly unable to view selected shows and films is because my broadband is going via a proxy server or vpn. This has never been an issue before and they advised me to contact Internet provider as it is not an issue on their part. 

I am able to access everything whilst using my phones mobile data so its definitely an issue somewhere with the broadband. 

@Nic88 wrote:

Odd.

What if you go to whatismyip.com does it give you a VM IP address?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Yes it shows vm ip address after checking. 

OK. So it's not a VPN or other issue then as your IP is from VM.

What is the error message that Netflix gives you?

Have you also tried disabling ChildSafe incase it's blocking it there?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Nic88,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post.

I am sorry to hear you've been having some issues accessing Netflix. 

Do you get any specific error message at all?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

DennisNedry
Tuning in

I’ve been having this same issue on off for a couple of months now.

For some reason, Virgin wifi is triggering one of the automatic checks at Netflix and saying we are using a VPN.

You don’t get an error message on Netflix, you just can’t see all of the content (and often all you can see are Netflix Originals).

Because of the lack of error message I think you’d struggle to know how many people are impacted by this. I only know there’s a problem because I can see a different list of content on my phone(using data), and then when I go to watch it on my tv (using wifi) I cannot see the same items. My parents for example would never know there’s a problem, they’d just go on Netflix and assume that’s all there is, never knowing they are missing out.

It seems to be an issue Netflix know about, and Virgin know about (multiple posts in this community) but neither is doing anything to fix.

We are basically paying the full amount for Netflix, but not getting the full amount of titles.

You’ll notice, some days it will fix itself, and then within a couple of hours the problem will start again.

Thanks all it has now rectified itself. After more research it does seem like a problem neither company will admit is their issue. However I will admit that VMs customer service during the call I made was far superior than netflix. 

How did you get it resolved? Netflix have been absolutely useless.