cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does it take 5 minutes to reboot a router?

Jerg
Tuning in

Wondering why it apparently takes 5 minutes to reboot a Hub 3 router? At least that's what the Virgin Media Connect App says.

That's really pretty long, and extremely slow.

This app seems designed for people who can spend days going around in circles

13 REPLIES 13

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Jerg wrote:

Wondering why it apparently takes 5 minutes to reboot a Hub 3 router? 

Any router has to go through a reboot and set up process - and it's not just the modem negotiation - loads of sub systems (Modem, WiFi, DHCP service, Firewall) need to be set up, reading config from NV Ram - starting with the Bootloader - and the processors are slow compared to a good modern smartphone or whatever.  The CPU in a VM Hub is relatively slow.

As an example here's  a link to the Open WRT pages with some details of BusyBox

The CPU in a VM Hub is relatively slow.

Adding a faster CPU, or any other hardware, is relatively cheap on a one off basis - but an ISP may be buying thousands if not millions of routers - shaving a Dollar off the cost of say a BT or Sky Hub saves say a million Dollars....  It's the same with any consumer equipment from kettles, toasters to TVs or Mac Books.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

If you’ve ever restarted an enterprise Cisco router or core switch, you’ll know what waiting for it to startup really it! I have literally left one and gone away, made a cup of coffee, and drunk it before the thing has fully initialised.

Broadband is working fine. Virgin Media Connect now working fine too.

Thanks for following up.

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Jerg,

Thanks for confirming and glad to hear that - let us know if you do need any assistance from us in the future.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide