cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does it take 5 minutes to reboot a router?

Jerg
Tuning in

Wondering why it apparently takes 5 minutes to reboot a Hub 3 router? At least that's what the Virgin Media Connect App says.

That's really pretty long, and extremely slow.

This app seems designed for people who can spend days going around in circles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lotharmat
Community elder

@Jerg wrote:

...Guess what I'm saying is that's still not good enough.

You need to move to another provider  - you can shave 2 mins off it if you move to BT and get a homehub...

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

lotharmat
Community elder
It needs to negotiate 28 channels and lock them

Thanks for the reply but still that makes no sense to me.

Understand there's a few things that need to be done in this process but are we not in the age where a processor operates at 3-4 gHz? And Virgin's connection speeds are 100+ Mbps? 

I fail to understand why it's taking so long for router to do a remote handshake. It's not like they're using morse code.

Keeping in mind that you can switch on and off a mobile device's wifi switch virtually instantaneously. And switch between 3G/4G servers seamlessly -- even on a high speed train. 

Why can't wired internet connections be just as fast if not faster? We're using outdated tech I think

lotharmat
Community elder
Have a read how DOCSIS works - it will give you a better idea of why it can take so long.

It does effectively boil down to scanning many channels and seeing what is available and good and then locking them in for your equipment!

Again, I'm sure you know what you're talking about and don't doubt there's a reason why the current system takes a while -- Guess what I'm saying is that's still not good enough.

What is being done to make this process a million times faster?

lotharmat
Community elder

@Jerg wrote:

...Guess what I'm saying is that's still not good enough.

You need to move to another provider  - you can shave 2 mins off it if you move to BT and get a homehub...

Thanks again, admit I wasn't expecting to read suggestion here. 

My question still stands, what is Virgin doing to speed up the connection handshake process dramatically?

Separately why is Virgin Media Connect continually telling me to reboot the Hub? I've done it about 10 times today and it's still not (bloody) working. 

Hi @Jerg

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Are you still experiencing issues with your broadband today?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Why do VM need to do something about the boot time? I never ever reboot my hubs, if you have to then you have an underlying problem.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2