cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can I sign in to 2 WiFi connections from my home?

mazhartley
Tuning in

I noticed in my WiFi settings that I can connect to 2 WiFi at my home address that show up under my networks with different names. The official one I was given when I joined virgin that is called v_ _ _ _ _ _ _( followed by numbers) and the other I don’t recognise called virgin media. The IP address and router address for the unknown network called virgin media is different to the official one. I found this out as I needed to access the router settings which I couldn’t  as I found I was signed in to the wrong network. I only have one router a hub 3 and have only ever signed in to my home WiFi not the one named virgin media. I can’t fathom out why I have a second network connection  which has a different router address. Does anyone have an explanation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The WiFi SSID called ‘Virgin Media’ is generated by your Hub for use by other Virgin Media customers, in return for your use of such hotspots elsewhere.

A useful starter document is available here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-how-to-connect-to-wifi-hotspots

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The WiFi SSID called ‘Virgin Media’ is generated by your Hub for use by other Virgin Media customers, in return for your use of such hotspots elsewhere.

A useful starter document is available here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-how-to-connect-to-wifi-hotspots

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for confirming this. I did just come across an article mentioning hot spots just before I saw your reply. Although in my WiFi setting next to the ‘virgin media’ network which you say is the hotspot there’s the padlock which surely means it’s password protected. Or is that virgin hotspot users can access it and for none virgin users are asked for password so they can’t access the hot spot. To clarify that I’m right in saying as My mobile is virgin mobile that’s why it can outomatically connect? 

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Of course the hotspots are password protected to stop non-customer access. Both Virgin Media and Virgin Mobile customers have access as customers.