Menu
Forum Team (Retired) Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 31 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why am I on my 4th router in 8 weeks

Hi Colin,

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner. When you keep posting on the thread it changes the position within our queues, so apologies for that.

Looking at your account, I can see there has been an engineer appointment booked for you to take a look into this. 

Let us know how the visit goes and the outcome.

I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some more information.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Networkfail
Joining in
Message 32 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Update for anyone following this thread. Sam from VM this is not aimed at you as I have already pm'd you yesterday, it's just for anyone out there who may want to here what's going on.

Engineer telephones on Saturday as I had an appointment booked. He knew it was a waste of time coming out to look at the issue as he is  aware of on going issue in my area effecting signal / SNR on the network side of things. No problem with engineer at all, he sounds spot on and no point in visiting me to tell me this so hope he was able to assist someone else that day.

Im told Networks need to look into this issue further and are having trouble fixing it,  but don't work weekends.

Shame really as this weekend has had the most disrupted connectivity so far and would have given them plenty to analyse and fix the issue. 6 hours on Saturday and same on Sunday of dropped connection every 20 to 30 mins for as long as half an hour at a time.

Its been 10 weeks now, yes 10, of poor performance and this issue is still going strong. I work as a network engineer for my sins and I can tell you I would be embarrassed if I had a fault on a Lan or Wan for 10 weeks , andarhia one actually seems to be getting worse.

I know VMs network is vast and not entirely comparative to a good sized Lan or Wan setup but I know how to troubleshoot a fault and 10 weeks is surely long enough to figure out a way of analysing the issue that allows you trace the fault.

Don't hold your breath for the resolution of this one.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 33 of 37
Flag for a moderator

not sure i agree with your tech - a network fault would be logged and have a fault number - afaik VM here have not given you that which says they cannot see a fault there side - further if there was a network or area fault all tech visits are cancelled until that fault is cleared but your tech visit was not cancelled by the system but by the tech himself - thats not how it works [again afaik]

its perfectly possible as said above by a VM tech that the problem is your side - bad connection - splitter and all manor of other things - have they all been tested and changed previously - if not thats why the tech was booked

Tony
0 Kudos
Networkfail
Joining in
Message 34 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the input Tony, but as said previously in this thread there was a known network fault being looked into, it had a fault number as supplied by VM and is shown earlier in this thread. It looks like it has never been cleared up. 

Can't comment on what you think the procedure should be but as I have said in my post title , kit swap after swap has made no difference.

All internal cables and spiltters in my home replaced , external cable still the same. New tap work carried out in pitp and water ingress noticed and dealt with ,I have even trimmed back Lan kit and have tried removing devices and keeping note of what is on when it happens to see if it fixes the issue or has  a logical pattern with no joy.

The tech didn't cancel, he rightly said it's pointless looking into something he knows he can't fix as networks should be dealing with it, he has also already been out to site and is aware of the ongoing issues.

I have been told by both a tech and by the VM staff who suppplied a fault number on this site that there is a known network issue. I can only hope that they can fix it some time soon .

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 35 of 37
Flag for a moderator

fair enough - its long thread to read back - maybe my understanding is wrong to what cancels a tech visit - it was that that i found confusing as they are always quick to cancel if theres a known fault

Tony
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 36 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Morning Networkfail,

I appreciate you posting back here and updating the thread.

I can see the network fault that you mentioned, with reference number F006580600 and has a review date 4th October.

I've replied to your PM and will keep you updated.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Networkfail
Joining in
Message 37 of 37
Flag for a moderator

OK so hopefully final post on this as all has been working for almost a week now, cant help but feel that saying that out loud will jinx it.

If you look back at the trail to here I have had quite a long road to this point. 

The issue had been attributed, by numerous different members of Virgin support, to many different things, routers, cables and even my own devices at one point. The 2 separate known network faults i was advised of by Virgin Forum Support were not known to the engineers on the ground who wasted both my time and theirs swapping kit with no hope of ever fixing the issue as it was network related. Not to mention the engineer who never showed, well worth wasting flexi time by leaving work early for that site visit.

The telephone support from non UK call centres was pretty bad on the whole. It would certainly be better if notes were taken against any fault you raise to allow them to look back at any recent issues without the customer jumping through the same hoops over and over and getting the same advice on how to fix the issue, even tho all of the previous attempts to resolve this in the same way has made no difference in the numerous fault calls previously logged.  I understand that users, for want of a better word (ok customers), will be at different levels of ability to diagnose and resolve their own home device, computer, wifi and network issues but by taking note of what has already been tried, when support was contacted previously, you take away the frustration of repeating attempted fixes that have resolved nothing and speed up the resolution time. I had the broadband disconnect and slowdowns for nearly 12 weeks.

The issue in the end was at the exchange and I have been told the resolution was to replace 2 amps.  I'm not a broadband networks engineer so don't know what this means but this has been the cause of the signal drops, slow speeds and inevitable router reboots which happen when it is trying to reconnect to the network.

Thanks to Sam from VM who has been very helpful throughout, the engineers ,for the most, were knowledgeable and helpful but not made fully aware of on going network issues in my area so were fighting a losing battle.

Thanks also to anyone who took the time to read my rants and chip in with whatever info or theory they could to try to help resolve this problem.

I hope this resolution info helps someone else in a similar position.

Networkfail. 

0 Kudos