Menu
Networkfail
Joining in
Message 11 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why am I on my 4th router in 8 weeks

Thanks Tony, much appreciated.

Its been pretty frustrating especially when you do networking day to day but are powerless to resolve an issue on a network you cant really troubleshoot and certainly can't make changes to.

Hopefully this thread will be noticed and reacted too as I don't think I can do another 20 minute wait to be told a reboot may fix it and an engineer will be on site in a week to find no issues with signal and swap out the  kit.

I wait on hope,

Networkfail.

0 Kudos
Networkfail
Joining in
Message 12 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Further info for any VM tech or someone with knowledge of this issue. I managed to grab network log info and signal strength  from about 10 mins ago when internet dropped out but router stayed up, but was strugling to let me browse on to router management page. please see below pics

Thanks in advance for any relevant input.

Screenshot_20**:**:**:**:**:**.jpg

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 37
Flag for a moderator

You need an engineers visit. End of.

As mentioned by Tony, your SNR is too low.

RCS partial service in Network logs means you are losing channels from a bonded set- likely because of the low SNR, and pre and post RS errors show the connection isn't coping well with the low SNR. Packets are arriving mangled, and not getting corrected so thats impacting your speed when the connection IS up.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Networkfail
Joining in
Message 14 of 37
Flag for a moderator

I'd agree if I hadn't already had 2 site visits from VM engineers and one no show from an engineer in the last 4 weeks, with no resolution as yet. 

Thanks for the input kippies, at least I have managed to capture some good stats as the thing didn't bounce on failure this time.

Thanks also for taking the time to have a look and reply. 

Another fun call to VM in my future.

cheers,

Networkfail.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 37
Flag for a moderator

unless you get through to someone in the UK i would suggest you are wasting your time - used to be that a call about 8.00am had a chance of the UK picking up - give that a try

not sure what a tech can do about low snr - i think thats networks who need to look at that and thats not the techs you have seen

my best advice is wait for VM to pick the thread up here and see what they say - but your choice obviously 

Tony
Networkfail
Joining in
Message 16 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony.

I think your right about the networks team picking up this kind of job. It was networks that the first engineer called on to fix the water ingress issue in the pit outside. Im starting to wonder if I need a new cable run to my house. Its probably only a 20 - 30 meter run from the pit to the entry point so wouldn't be too bad a job. Did mention water ingress to last engineer but he thought that they didn't suffer with issues on their kind of cable just the tap end Canberra swamped and corroded.

I'll see what I get from here but I'll try logging another fault too as I have the logs to show them the issue.

I am aware of a new bit of kit, well new to me , that is fitted to  some of our business broadbands at work that helps regulate or smooth out signal issues. It feeds 3 broadband  we have and requires power to run, can't honestly remember what it's called but you never know, it may be my saviour.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 17 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Morning Networkfail,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm so sorry to learn of the problems you having with the broadband connection.

I've checked your account and there is an SNR (signal to noise ratio) fault reported in your area. The reference number is F006519283 and has a review date of 12th September.

If after this fault has closed you are still having the same issue, then I can certainly book an engineer appointment.

Speak to you soon
Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Networkfail
Joining in
Message 18 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Morning Sam, thanks for the update.

That would make sense but I'm a bit taken a back that none of the engineers or tech support on the phone knew anything about this or thought to look into this as a possibility (especially after so many replacements of kit)

It also seems a bit of a waste of time for both me repeatedly organising appointments and having to leave work early in one case to be at home for a four hour appointment window (which the engineer never showed for) . Also a waste of time and effort for your engineers to keep coming out and replacing kit but not resolving the issue ( they did resolve one possible point of issue with water Ingress in the pit outside). Surely there is a method of flagging up bigger network issues, even if they are intermittent, that even the phone support can see without any real effort when you simply tell them your postcode.

Sorry to rant but it's been a long road to be told there is a known issue and no one I have spoken to or met seemed to be aware of it. (I  have spoken to both UK and overseas service centers over the last 2 months also)

When the fault is looked into will I receive notification of its resolution or is there somewhere here I can look up the fault reference to see what has happened?

Thanks again to all who have posted in response to my question.

cheers

Colin.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 19 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Hi Colin,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I can understand your frustration in all of this and how long it is taking to get resolved.

I will be in the office on Wednesday until 2pm, if there are any updates I'll be sure to let you know otherwise it will be Thursday morning.

Hope that is ok

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 20 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Afternoon Colin,

Only me.

The fault ticket has just been closed.

If you can, monitor the connection over the next few days and let me know if there are any issues at all.

Speak soon

Sam