Menu
Networkfail
Joining in
Message 1 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Why am I on my 4th router in 8 weeks

Hi all, I would like feed back from anyone who is constantly having broadband drop outs and router resets over say the last 8 weeks.

I am now, as I have stated in my question, on my 4th router in 8 weeks. I can't tell you how long I've spent on the phone and can't help but think the recent changes made to the virgin network, as I have been told by a virgin engineer who visited me recently, and the so called upgrade to a hub 3 have something to do with it.

I have had issues with water ingress in the pit outside that my connection runs back to which was promptly fixed, no complaints there, a few weeks back but the issue persists and line quality is good whenever an engineer shows to test. The issue also effects TiVo when the network link drops low or vanishes also.

Not so much a misery loves company post as a cry for help for virgin to do something more now than swap out kit.

Ps i have been a networks engineer for almost 20 years now and have tried more than the usual tweaks and tests and Lan kit removals my side, both cabled and WiFi ,than the average punter with no effect.

Thanks on advance,

Network fail.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why am I on my 4th router in 8 weeks

Can you post your upstream and downstream power levels..

Go to 192.168.0.1

Do NOT LOG IN- Click router status

hub31.jpg

And post Downstream and Upstream levels..

shub32.png

0 Kudos
Networkfail
Joining in
Message 3 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

While I typed my last rant, aplos for the length, my router had rebooted itself, with no interference from me, 4 times. I power it down again by removing the power and left it off for a few mins.

It is now back to working again so don't know how much help the stats will be, hold on  just looked up and the router is rebooting itself again so can't provide stats at the moment, could be some time.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 37
Flag for a moderator

NP, wait till it stablises, post your stats then.

0 Kudos
Networkfail
Joining in
Message 5 of 37
Flag for a moderator

The point I'm trying to make is '' if it stabelises'.

Every time the levels are measured by an engineer they are well within the expected levels also hence the consistent kit replacement and no resolution so far.

I'll see what I can do.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 37
Flag for a moderator

and can't help but think the recent changes made to the virgin network, as I have been told by a virgin engineer who visited me recently, and the so called upgrade to a hub 3 have something to do with it.

what recent changes and what update to the hub3 - the hub3 is getting a firmware update - thats not going to cause the problems you are getting - as to network changes - if you had said the info had come from offshore then that would make sense - they talk rubbish - sounds like the techs are as bad

so so levels and other info is the next step

as to why you have had 4 hubs - well it makes you think something is happening and get the tech out of your premises - cynical maybe but i would guess the 4 hubs you have had replaced were not scrapped but installed on other jobs and are working fine

Tony
0 Kudos
Networkfail
Joining in
Message 7 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20**:**:**:**:**:**.jpg

Managed to get on an grab the above after it rebooted itself again.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 37
Flag for a moderator

snr is low - thats not going to help - post the rest of the downstream pages showing the pre and post rs errors - they may not help as its rebooting and will reset them 

if it is an snr fault then you need input from VM - the tech is not going to sort that however many times he changes the hub

Tony
0 Kudos
Networkfail
Joining in
Message 9 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Tony.

Didn't make myself clear in first rant. I had upgraded to a hub 3 from a hub 2 about 2 weeks after this began happening.

As for the network upgrades, I spoke to a virgin engineer and he said that around d 7 to 8 weeks ago they had started a using a new process or upgraded one to acquire downstream lock, I think he said downstream anyway.

They have installed new taps in the pit also about 6 weeks ago as they had found water ingress. the

When the engineer was on site yesterday my router was not detected on The network but was allowing me to stream from the internet which made no sense at all to the engineer.

All levels were checked and another router was installed as this was an odd issue and looked like a hardware fault.

Do you have any info on how to escalate this beyond first line and baasi engineer level , tier 2 or 3 support if they exist?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 37
Flag for a moderator

i cannot argue with any of the info you have about upgrades - maybe its true maybe its not - VM play all such things close to their chests when info is given but who knows

as to all levels being correct well depends how far tech looks - upstream and downstream levels are good but my understanding of snr is 34 is minimum and you have readings below that - how that plays out i dont know - does that cause resets - again [sorry] i dont know but that series of levels is out of spec afaik

how do you escalate it - best way is wait here - VM take about a week to get to threads they will comment - if there is a fault in the area they will know and give you a fault ref - i would suggest there is not as normally an area fault cancels all tech visits

leave the thread to age as adding to it can push it down their answer queue and dont mark any answers as helpful or whatever it is - that again can delay VM getting here

imo the hub changes have been pointless but i am not a tech so they might be right - who knows - changing stuff in the pit may have helped but its not cured the root problem

Tony
0 Kudos