cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Ethernet port to connect Router to Virgin Hub3

Buca1uk1
On our wavelength

Hi,

Might be a silly question, but here it goes. I'm in the process of putting my VH3 in Modem mode and using an Ubiquity Edge Router to connect to it.

I've connected to the Edge router using the eth0/PoE IN and set up a static IP address, however which port should I use from the VHub to the Edge router ?

I'll then connect the AC-PRO to the Edge router.

What was strange was after I connected to the edge router again after the reboot, I could only connect using the eth1 port (not the one I originally configured), is there a difference ?

Hope someone can assist.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Basic setup guide for the edge router is here 

from that site.. 

1. Navigate to the Wizards tab and run the wizard.

Wizards > Basic Setup

2. Choose the interface that will connect to the ISP define the other router settings.

The available internet connection types are:

• DHCP The most common scenario. Use this option if your ISP is distributing IP addresses via DHCP.
  • Static IP Use this option if your ISP provided you with a static public IP address.
  • PPPoE Use this option if your ISP authenticates your internet connection using PPPoE.

The interface for wan, based on your previous posts, is eth1

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Use the bottom Ethernet port. Make sure nothing else is plugged into the hub. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

jem101
Superstar

It doesn't actually matter which port on the VM Hub 3 you use, but the WAN interface on your Edge router needs to be in Dynamic IP address mode not static.

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

On the Hub 3 any one of the four ports can be used but most people use the bottom port more for tidiness than anything else.

When you connect your own router use this method ...

Put the Hub 3 into modem mode …

To enable modem mode on your Hub 3

1. Make sure you are connected (wired or wirelessly) to your Hub 3.0
  2. Open your Internet browser
  3. Log in to your Hub's settings page by entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your Internet browser
  4. Enter your Hub 3 settings password. The default password is on the bottom of the Hub 3.  If you have changed the default password, enter that password instead
  5. Once you've logged in, click Modem Mode on the left
  6. Click the option next to Enable Modem Mode and then click Apply changes

and wait for the base light to turn magenta.

Note: Once in Modem Mode, the IP address you use to access your Hub changes from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.100.1.

………………………………………………………………………..

Disconnect all ethernet cables from the Hub 3 then power off the Hub 3.

Then, set up your own router with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode. Make sure it’s fully initialized (leave 5 min) and then put in the Cat 5E/6 cable to the Hub 3.

Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect your own router to the VM hub.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Buca1uk1
On our wavelength

Hi,

OK the Ubiquity guide states to give it a static IP, which I did. Is it easy to change it back to Dynamic IP address mode ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
you need a static LAN ip and hte dhcp on the LAN side and Dynamic IP on the WAN interface

Actually my apologies, it wasn't immediately clear when I read your post what it was you were asking, the usual convention for routers is that eth0 is the trusted (LAN side) interface and eth1 is the untrusted (WAN side). So if you have configured a LAN-side IP address on eth0, then connect eth1 to the VM Hub, and configure that interface to be the WAN connection with DHCP addressing.

WAN interface should be dhcp.

LAN interface should be static, 192.168.1.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 ( or a /24).

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Note quiet right for the LAN side, the address of the EdgeRouter can be any address in the private address ranges 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12 or 192.168.0.0/16

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Note quiet right for the LAN side, fixed yes, but the address of the EdgeRouter can be any address in the private address ranges 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12 or 192.168.0.0/16

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2