cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will I get my speed upgrade?

iamSteve
Dialled in

I have today received an email for an upgrade I applied for last week from M350 to M500.

I use my HUB 3 in Modem mode, running a speed test in my router the speed has not increased, although it shows as increased in the Hub3?

Any Ideas Please

Primary Downstream Service Flow

SFID222
Max Traffic Rate575000000
Max Traffic Burst42600
Min Traffic Rate0

Screenshot 2022-08-23 at 13.34.22.png

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Something in your router or devices is set to limit speeds? QoS setting perhaps.

To rule that out test speeds like this

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers as Chrome sometimes gives odd results.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.
There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, anti-virus, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets. For examples of why... see message 7 in the first thread and 9 in in the second and 3 in the third

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/HUB-5-and-IGB-wifi/td-p/5088163

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Slow-Ethernet-Speed/m-p/5060946#M484321

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Upgrade-from-M600-to-Gig1-no-speed-change-with-Hub-4/td-p...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

You reminded me I have had something strange with QOS in the Asus Router before, even though it is OFF it still uses the rates that are set.

I had issues last time I tried connecting a MAC straight to the Hub 3 in modem mode and it was unable to connect?

I have tried the different settings of  Adaptive QoS  / Traditional QoS / Bandwidth Limiter in the router and I have also tried setting the limits much higher than I can get say 5000 / 1000 and also after setting turning QOS off as well as testing with on.

Speed Test below from within router interface.

Screenshot 2022-08-24 at 13.31.37.png

As you can see depending upon the options I set I can improve slightly and destroy the download speed.

The 430Mb Speed is with Bandwidth Limit setting not entered (No devices set up so all blank) and the QOS function turned off.  It is poor that if you set say Adaptive QOS and set speed to say 100Mb, you get 100Mb even if you then turn off QOS!

So in short it looks like Virgin have upgraded my speed to M500 however my Asus RT-AC88U is having difficulty utilising it.

I have also today Factory reset the Asus and tried another internal speed test, if anything this was strangely worse than before.

I have now reloaded my servings but still can't get above 440Mbps ish on M500.

Hi iamSteve, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having an issue with reaching the 500mb speeds. 

As you have a separate router, can you disconnect this and instead connect the Hub directly to a PC/Laptop? Reboot the hub and then run a speed test. 

Pop your results here and let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Ok, so connecting my MAC directly to the Hub 3 when in Modem mode, I can never get it to work tried it today and still no luck.

So I reset to Standard Router mode and Connected Via Cable.  This is the speed test result.

Screenshot 2022-08-26 at 15.58.20.png

So it's not an issue with the Virgin connection, but an issue once I reconnect my Router and put the Hub 3 in Modem mode.

My Asus RT-AC88U Router and mesh system are all up to date, and I have all QOS options turned off.

Screenshot 2022-08-26 at 12.27.54.png

I will have to try and get to the bottom of this issue with the AC88U or I may as well just roll back to M350 as the speed through the router will not drop by much as it is currently.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Dunno if you set it up this way - but see this "generic" approach - its the order that is important
____________________-

Switch on and set up your own router/Mesh unit (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in Dynamic/Automatic IP or DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and switch it off and unplug it.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one.

This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

If its a bug that can only be fixed by reset the Asus router enabling QoS on home router can't push as much bandwidth then if disabled to fully use NAT offloading.

disable Traffic Analyzer - Statistic and QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi iamSteve, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this and confirming things are find when connecting to your hub directly. 

As this is an issue when adding in the third party equipment, I will leave you in the ca[able hands of the community. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs