cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s the best solution to unusable WiFi?

masikoben
Joining in

I signed up with Virgin in June and I’ve honestly had no complaints up until recently. I have the 100mbps package and it worked flawlessly, providing coverage to every room in the house

However, this all changed a few weeks ago. Since then the range barely goes past the living room and kitchen, with little to no signal upstairs meaning constant drop outs and speeds of 6mbps and below

I’ve tried all the usual tricks like resetting the router and fiddling in the router settings etc, but that was just as useless as talking to their technical support team who essentially told me to deal with as they couldn’t see anything wrong on their end

So I’ve recently been looking in to overhauling my home networking to get the speeds and range I’m paying for, which is where this question comes from

What’s the best solution here. Should I just get an expensive replacement router? Should I invest in a mesh network? Or is a simple WiFi booster sufficient?

3 REPLIES 3

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

The speeds you pay for apply to wired speeds only and the actual speed down the cable to the hub.

Yes getting your own equipment will improve things tenfold. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I'd say that for most people, a modestly priced mesh system is the answer.  For a small to medium sized property and speeds up to 500 Mbps you'd likely get away with a two unit mesh (like the one I use) that you can find for around £75, for larger properties or those with difficult wifi environments you might want to spend a bit more for a similar three unit setup, at around £100.  Obviously shop around, don't assume that the big A is the cheapest source.

If the starting price is £70, for a competent mesh, then the other options - in my view - fade away.  Competent boosters are around £25-40 if you want dual band, but aren't anywhere near as capable as a mesh or decent router, and may not perform at all well if they rely on the mains electrical wiring setup.  A capable entry level router can be had for around £45, but creates a single wifi access point - again for "only" another thirty quid you could have a competent mesh setup.

Of course, if you can make yourself qualify for the Volt offer, eg by simply transferring an existing pay monthly mobile contract to O2, then you could get hold of some wifi pods that will probably sort things out, but you need to work out whether there's a net cost to you of doing that.  If there's no cost then it's a great offer, if it cost you £5 a month more than over a year you'd have spent almost the same as buying a mesh system, and stll be on the hook for that extra fiver.

But before doing any of those things, are you 100% sure this is wifi related, rather than a broadband problem?  A new router, mesh, wifi pods or anything similar can sort out wifi capability issues, but if the underlying problem is flaky broadband then those will remain.  

A further thought - if you've been told of the price increase, then you should be in the 30 day cancellation window - phone up first thing in the morning* follow options to "thinking of leaving", don't accept any push button discounts, select options until you get through to a UK based human (try again another day if no joy on that front), explain that you want to cancel for two reasons - because the wifi range is dreadful and because the price the rise means that at 100 Mbps you might as well go with an Openreach supplier with a wifi performance guarantee (quote a new customer price for 80 Mbps from a price comparison web site at them).  Chances are they'll offer a better price and throw in two free pods if you play your cards right.  

* Lower chance of getting put through to VM's shocking poor offshore call centres.