cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best solution for improving WiFi signal?

Delta99
Dialled in

I live in a 3-storey terrace house, and because I used to run a charity from home in a top floor bedroom/office I opted to have the broadband router etc all set up in that room.  For 20 years that's been fine but now I want to have a greater on the ground floor in order to have a wifi doorbell camera.  I've already tried the camera out but because it's not only on the ground floor but underneath a porch the signal cuts out constantly after 2-3 mins if even.  I've tried various settings on the Virgin router and also tried using a 'repeater' plug in a ground floor socket nearest to the door but so far nothing has worked.  The camera is an Isselec brand from Amazon but looks just like a Ring.

I'm not the most technically minded when it comes to WiFi and signal boosters etc, so possibly am either missing something in how I've it set up or maybe need something different.  I no longer run the charity but do still use the room as a home office so not sure whether I should think of switching the router to the ground floor, and would worry that even doing that might not sort the problem out. I do have an old Belkin router if that might be of any use.

So I'm just seeking some input and perhaps suggestions on what else to try. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

carl_pearce
Community elder

@Delta99 wrote:

I live in a 3-storey terrace house, and because I used to run a charity from home in a top floor bedroom/office I opted to have the broadband router etc all set up in that room.  For 20 years that's been fine but now I want to have a greater on the ground floor in order to have a wifi doorbell camera.  I've already tried the camera out but because it's not only on the ground floor but underneath a porch the signal cuts out constantly after 2-3 mins if even.  I've tried various settings on the Virgin router and also tried using a 'repeater' plug in a ground floor socket nearest to the door but so far nothing has worked.  The camera is an Isselec brand from Amazon but looks just like a Ring.

I'm not the most technically minded when it comes to WiFi and signal boosters etc, so possibly am either missing something in how I've it set up or maybe need something different.  I no longer run the charity but do still use the room as a home office so not sure whether I should think of switching the router to the ground floor, and would worry that even doing that might not sort the problem out. I do have an old Belkin router if that might be of any use.

This could be the issue.

A repeater is designed to 'repeat' a good signal to another area of your home. Putting in an area furthest away from the HUB effectively defeats the object.

You need to try the repeater on the floor above.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

You will no doubt get loads of suggestions on boosting your signal but for now as we are concerned with the single device try initially splitting the bands. It sounds scary but there is a step by step guide here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/How-do-i-split-wifi-on-superhub-3/m-p/47705...

Once done connect the device to the 2.4 band. 

Thanks for that - certainly a new concept for me to try.  I have quite a lot of devices already insistent on using the 2.4 channel so it's already set to that.  I'll have a go at setting that up in the next day or two, when I've time to deal with any issues that might arise. 🙂

carl_pearce
Community elder

@Delta99 wrote:

This could be the issue.

A repeater is designed to 'repeat' a good signal to another area of your home. Putting in an area furthest away from the HUB effectively defeats the object.

You need to try the repeater on the floor above.

Thanks Carl - I had tried the repeater initially in the room where the Hub is but that didn't do anything at the time to help - I got so frustrated with the darned thing seemingly not achieving its purpose I might have dumped it - have to go on a hunt tomorrow :D!

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Delta99 wrote:
Thanks Carl - I had tried the repeater initially in the room where the Hub is but that didn't do anything at the time to help - I got so frustrated with the darned thing seemingly not achieving its purpose I might have dumped it - have to go on a hunt tomorrow :D!

It's no good putting the booster in the same room as the hub or where the signal is already too weak (as others have already said).   It's pretty obvious if you think about it.  It's like passing a message along a line of people (an they all have the same volume of voice).  If standing next to each other the second person is unlikely to add anything, and it's likely to be too feint to hear at the furthest place.

Put the booster at an intermediate point such as the middle floor!

A good mesh system such as the Deco M4 with a unit on each floor would likely be better.  Ethernet cable between units would be better still. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks so much - understand it a bit better now. I'll investigate the Deco & see if I can afford it. Appreciate the help so much as it will be great if I can manage to get the darned thing to finally work fully. 🙂