Menu
iwilliamsd
Joining in
Message 31 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: What's going on with my ping?

Interesting thank you. But I am sure I was getting 220Mbps when I looked last year/earlier this year, on the phone and mainPC. Probably both on the 5GHz network as you say. Now I am not getting that even connected via ethernet.

I just looked at the connection on my main PC I'm typing this on and it is on 5GHz with an up down link speed of 200. But when I do a speedtest it says [pause while I run a test] 29.21Mbps. The laptop I've been playing with is on 2.4GHz and gets [pause] 20Mbps.

Not right methinks...

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 32 of 36
Flag for a moderator

@iwilliamsd wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate all your efforts but I shouldn't need to do any of this - it should just work at the advertised speed, surely. Nothing we have done today has made that speed happen. And my ping is still ramping up to stupid numbers in cycles every hour, making multiplayer games unplayable. I don't know where we go from here...

this is called basic troubleshooting?

you putting your laptop/pc into safe mode and getting the speeds you would expect tell us that the line is capable and that your laptop/pc is throttling your connection when in normal mode. - this would not be a virgin issue.

i know you seem fixated on the pings but you need to forget about them just now.

WIFI - again that could be a seperate unrelated issue. we need to get your ethernet connection speeds looking normal first. anything else is, excuse the french, pissing in the wind.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
iwilliamsd
Joining in
Message 33 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I might try the text number they list on the heading page. I had reason to call at 8:00 the other morning (VirginMobile) and it still took ages to get through.

Just noticed the phantom spook in your sig 🙂 I used to lie in bed and listen to them coming in to land at RAF Alconbury years ago...

Ian

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 34 of 36
Flag for a moderator

@iwilliamsd wrote:

I might try the text number they list on the heading page. I had reason to call at 8:00 the other morning (VirginMobile) and it still took ages to get through.

Just noticed the phantom spook in your sig 🙂 I used to lie in bed and listen to them coming in to land at RAF Alconbury years ago...

Ian

Spamcans

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 35 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speed and latency spikes

Hi iwilliamsd,

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the community forums. Apologies for the delayed response, I've had a look at your connection to run remote diagnostics. It does show your connection is being impacted by an area outage. C01147239 with an ETA, 16 OCT 2020 15:00.

Thanks,
Corey C

0 Kudos
iwilliamsd
Joining in
Message 36 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speed and latency spikes

Service status confirmed there was this issue. I entered my phone number so VM could let me know when it was fixed.

When the time it was supposed to be fixed passed the message on the service status disappeared and it now says all is well. I have had no text to say anything. The service is still as slow and unreliable as ever.

Meanwhile I've spent the last two and a half days beating my head against a wall trying to converse with the text help line. A more frustrating experience I haven't had in a long time.

VM is great when it works. When it doesn't, forget it...

0 Kudos