Menu
MJC_OK
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What is wrong with my Wi-Fi network

I've been back with Virgin for a few weeks now, and I literally have no idea what's happening/wrong with the Wi-Fi.

Firstly, I couldn't get a signal on the 5ghz band at the rear of my house or almost anywhere upstairs (it's not a big house, and has very few obstacles in the way) and the 2ghz was painfully slow. So I tried the Connect app to look for blackspots .... of course it couldn't find them because it couldn't connect to the Hub. Anyway. I called Tech Support and they sent me two PowerLines. They have indeed extended my Wi-Fi coverage but the speeds are sub 30mbps usually, on a 200mbps line?! Now when I try the Connect app it says I'm not connected to my Hub, which I clearly am.

If I run the network diagnostics it also tells me there's a problem but offers no solution!

Alternatively, I can have a very strong signal connection but I'm informed by my devices that there's no actual internet connection?

The other thing that perhaps confuses me more than anything else is why my devices are telling me I'm getting the full fat 220mbps speed, yet I can't load a single post on Instagram or load a web page, streaming movies drop down to a pixelated mess.

I've called Tech Support again, and they've done ...*something* and told me to restart everything and wait ten minutes ... this has not improved anything.

I just can't get my head around how this superfast broadband is stupidly slow, when compared to my 50mbps BT line which was stable and the hub signal covered by entire house.

I'm loathed to buy my own router, because why should I really - it's 2019 and everything runs on Wi-Fi, ISPs should be able to provide me with hardware that can handle that.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: What is wrong with my Wi-Fi network

@MJC_OK wrote:

I'm loathed to buy my own router, because why should I really - it's 2019 and everything runs on Wi-Fi, ISPs should be able to provide me with hardware that can handle that.

But they can't.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello MJC_OK, 

Thank you for your post, I'm very sorry about the WiFi issues you have been experiencing and for any frustration it has been causing. 

I'm afraid that we can't guarantee a minimum download speed over WiFi  as there can be factors in your home which will be out of our control. 

What I would recommend is our handy WiFi Tips  I'm hopeful they will bring some joy, but if they don't then please let me know so I can then send you a private message and take a closer look at your account. 

Speak soon, 

Dean C

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You might have a network or hub problem. Can you post some stats. Put your hub into modem mode and log out. Go to 192.168.100.1, do not log in, click on the link "Check Router Status".
Copy and paste the Downstream, Upstream and Network Logs. Mask any public IP or MAC addresses.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
MJC_OK
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@legacy1 wrote:

@MJC_OK wrote:

But they can't.

I’ve been using a BT HUB for three years, and I’m not exaggerating, it’s been 100% reliable with a very good signal around my house on a quarter of the speed

0 Kudos
MJC_OK
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

You might have a network or hub problem. Can you post some stats. Put your hub into modem mode and log out. Go to 192.168.100.1, do not log in, click on the link "Check Router Status".
Copy and paste the Downstream, Upstream and Network Logs. Mask any public IP or MAC addresses.

Thanks I’ll try that and come back 

0 Kudos