cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this?

Reece11
On our wavelength

Why is it, whenever I visit YouTube the IP address ''host-82-15-95-140.not-set-yet.virginmedia.net'' seems to connect via Port 443.

It says the ISP is ''Virgin Media Limited'' but the Organization is ''TalkTalk''.

I have asked this question before regarding this, and to this day nobody on this forum can give me an actual answer as to what it is and why it is connecting.

So, for the last time, surely there is someone on here that might have an idea or clue as to what it is.

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

You had previous similar posts on here last year expressing concern that you were being spied on.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/What-is-this-for/td-p/4683322

I'll leave it to others to interpret the data in the current post but if privacy is the main concern then use a good vpn. 

Reece11
On our wavelength

Bump. Anyone?

Reece11
On our wavelength

Bump.

Reece11
On our wavelength

Bump. I guess nobody actually knows what this means?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Read the forum rules. Just bumping a post puts it to the bottom of the queue for VM staff. So if you go on doing it the post will never get answered.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

So I actually have an answer. I'm writing this in between one of the worst, up-and-down connection problems the UK have experienced from Virgin media UK wide. Today has affected thousands of customers – around 40,000 according to downdetector.com at time of writing.

After investigating on my open source router (my virgin media router is in modem mode), using traceroute, I noticed that virgin will use this temporarily as one of the routers which will direct traffic out to the Internet. They seem to use this when they are booting up servers and everything is not synchronised yet. For example, now that we've been reconnected again (after a long outage), the "not-yet-set" server has changed to " aztw-core-2b-xe-715-0.network.virginmedia.net (62.252.231.217)". Therefore, it seems that virgin use this when they have outages, and they haven't synchronised all their servers yet…