cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best and fasted router

broksonic
Fibre optic

I want to be able to get at least 350mb I pay for over Wi-Fi . My modem is unfortunately upstairs that can’t be moved 

17 REPLIES 17

carl_pearce
Community elder

@broksonic wrote:

I want to be able to get at least 350mb I pay for over Wi-Fi . My modem is unfortunately upstairs that can’t be moved 

Buying the 'best' and 'fasted' router won't always lead to better WiFi speeds as your devices must be capable also.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Do you get the speeds you want on the same floor as the hub?

Have you checked to see if your package entitles you to free VM wifi pods?   

If you aren't eligible for free pods, what's your budget? 

What's the property size/type/construction? 

How many users, devices, what types of use?  

Can you run an ethernet cable from the current hub location to a potential wireless access point location downstairs?  

Are you up for some DIY?

Is domestic decor and finish a critical consideration?

I doubt my package allows me to have free Wi-Fi pods as I’m only on Tv mix , m350 broadband and talk more anytime. I guess I could run an Ethernet cable from upstairs to downstairs but didn’t think they made cables that long

@broksonic wrote:
I doubt my package allows me to have free Wi-Fi pods as I’m only on Tv mix , m350 broadband and talk more anytime. I guess I could run an Ethernet cable from upstairs to downstairs but didn’t think they made cables that long

You can get 100 metre cables that are still capable of 1Gbps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd stick the rubbish VM hub in to modem mode and use a good quality router (eg Asus RT-AC86U or similar). 

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @broksonic, thanks for your post.

As @carl_pearce has mentioned, your devices must be able to perform with the high speeds in order to get them over wifi. If they don't, you could have the highest speed and still only get lower speeds through wifi.

@andrew_g's asked some helpful questions to you earlier in the thread, as answers to all of these will get you the best solution necessary.

Based on your response, I do think it's worth investing in a large ethernet cable that's compatible with receiving up to 1Gbps.

If you're on the Mix TV/M350 package, then our Virgin Media wifi pods won't be free unfortunately. The first wifi pod will be an extra £5 per month, but if you need a second and a third pod then these will be completely free of charge, so you can have up to 3 pods for £5 per month! If you're interested in this then please let me know, as I can help place the order for you.

Alternatively, you may wish to invest in a third party router as @cardiffman's mentioned too, which a lot of customers have success with too!

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Regards

Tom_W

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Run the cable is always the best. Stick a good quality wireless access point on it - look at TP-Link C6 Archer

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I don't speak from experience, but I have a suspicion that the Archer C6 isn't quite a straightforward to put in access point mode as many other routers and mesh systems. It can be done, but I think there's some poking about to run the necessary interface, and unusually for TP-Link the website is a bit vague and documentation lacking. 

If all that's wanted is an access point rather than a router, the Netgear WAC104 is a pure access point at a similar price point to the C6 and might be a better choice?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Netgear option is a good one - and its nice kit - and as Andrew says, will be simpler to set up.

However, IMHO, the procedure for the C6 is fairly straightforward - but perhaps not if you are not comfortable doing this

https://techexpert.tips/tp-link/tp-link-archer-c6-ac1200-access-point-mode/

The C6's advantage is that it can also be used as a conventional wireless router and its routing features will be far better than any in a VM Hub 🙂

If that isnt something you might want in the future then the simple WAP (Netgear) will be fine

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.