cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Western Digital EX2 Ultra NAS + VM Hub 3.0 - Cannot see connected

cpt_jack
Tuning in

Hi there, I'm new around these parts, so bare with me!

I have a WD EX2 Ultra NAS that I have brought with me which was previously set up on a different network back in Canada.

I went to connect it up today to the VM Hub 3.0 (VMH3) and for some reason I am unable to access the drive.

Under "Connected Devices" it does not show up, however, the green lights are moving on both the back of the NAS as well as the VMH3 so there is some sort of connection happening.

I believe this is confirmed by the fact that on my Mac I can see that the NAS does indeed show up in the Finder sidebar with the correct name of the NAS, however when I click on it it fails to connect. If I disconnect the NAS from the VMH3 it disappears from the Finder sidebar. So there is some sort of communication or indication it can be seen on the network. I just find it very odd that I cannot see it in the connected devices section of the VMH3.

I am at a complete loss here in figuring this out as I am very unfamiliar with the VMH3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

Best,
J

5 REPLIES 5

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

What IP and mask is the NAS set to?

The hub uses 192.168.0.x with a 255.255.255.0 mask. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi Gary,

The NAS will likely use the 255.255.255.0 mask as I don't recall every changing that.

But the IP address was likely a static IP before on the previous network and would have used 192.168.2.x previously.

I cannot access the NAS in any way to see what IP it is expecting.

You should be able to connect to it directly via a laptop

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You should be able to connect to it directly via a laptop” that’s the way to do it, but it’s a little more involved. Your laptop probably uses DHCP  and it’s would be best to give it a temporary fixed address of 192.168.2.254 and connect it directly to the NAS. You should then probably be able to open a web browser on the NAS to setup a new address.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hey Gary, got it sorted!

I tried editing the IP for the VMH3 from 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.2.10 and it worked!

I now have access!

thanks for being a sounding board!! Sometimes you just need to talk it out and you’ll remind yourself of something! 🙂

have a great day!