cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website not accessible on Virgin Wi-Fi. ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

andycheeseman
Tuning in

I can’t access a specific website on my home Wi-Fi. It works with different ISPs and also on a mobile connection.

When I try and access via VM Wi-Fi, I get an ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error in my browser.

Different browsers, different devices and different internet connections tested. Always an issue when using VM Wi-Fi.

www.thepestcompany.co.uk

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Solution discovered.

My IP had been blacklisted by the hosts.

I contacted them, they whitelisted me, job done.

Thanks for everyone's input.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

carl_pearce
Community elder

@andycheeseman wrote:

I can’t access a specific website on my home Wi-Fi. It works with different ISPs and also on a mobile connection.

When I try and access via VM Wi-Fi, I get an ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error in my browser.

Different browsers, different devices and different internet connections tested. Always an issue when using VM Wi-Fi.

www.thepestcompany.co.uk

Works fine here, however I'm not using VM's DNS.

Of note, when using this tool...

Virgin Media's DNS (194.168.4.100) times out for the URL in question. But Google's DNS (8.8.8.8) returns data.

Good Afternoon @andycheeseman, website loaded up fine for me using Chrome.

Can you possibly try resetting the hub to see if this loads up for your on your Virgin Media connection?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Unit reset, but still having issues accessing via Wi-Fi.

Trace route continues to look like it's bouncing around Virgin Media servers. (See text below).

I tried on the same devices at my parents Virgin Media connection (different region of the UK) and it resolved no problem.

1  192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1)  4.336 ms  3.399 ms  5.851 ms
 2  10.53.32.21 (10.53.32.21)  11.983 ms  20.377 ms  16.186 ms
 3  bagu-core-2a-xe-4117-0.network.virginmedia.net (80.5.161.41)  20.926 ms  12.461 ms  15.054 ms
 4  * * *
 5  * * *
 6  telw-ic-4-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net (62.254.84.70)  18.637 ms  21.778 ms  19.061 ms
 7  m498-mp2.cvx3-a.ltn.dial.ntli.net (213.104.85.242)  22.265 ms  25.341 ms  21.420 ms
 8  xe0-0-0-to-hex-virgin.mx0cov.as42831.net (185.17.24.66)  25.995 ms  30.767 ms  27.434 ms
 9  * * *
10  * * *
11  * * *
12  * * *
13  * * *
14  * * *
15  * * *

Hi andycheeseman,

That is really strange - I've tested the site and it seems to be working fine for me.

Have you tried visiting the site from other devices and through an ethernet connection instead?

Also, do you have a VPN set up too?

Thanks

Beth

Hi,

Multiple phones and laptops all fail when accessing via wifi. When tethering to my phone on these same devices, it loads no problem.

Ethernet behaves the same. Any attempt via the virgin modem fails. Other sites load fine.

No VPN setup.

Is there any way to escalate this within Virgin?

Thanks,
Andy.

Hi Andy, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

I'm sorry to hear this is continuing for you. You mentioned above that when accessing the site through your parents VM connection that the issue is resolved. 

As this is only happening on your connection, can you try popping your hub in to Modem mode and trying the access the site again? 

It's possible the site may have blacklisted your ip address. By switching to Modem mode, you ip address should change. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Solution discovered.

My IP had been blacklisted by the hosts.

I contacted them, they whitelisted me, job done.

Thanks for everyone's input.