cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak security on brand new Hub 3

cjp1
Up to speed

We had problems with our Hub 3 so VM sent us a replacement.

I installed the hub yesterday and today have noticed in settings on two iPads and an iPhone it says weak security under the Hub name.

is this normal for a brand new hub? I’d have expected it to be shipped fully configured for a secure connection. I haven’t changed any settings on the hub.

when I click on info it says:

WPA/WPA2 (TKIP) is not considered secure.

If this is your WiFi network, configure the router to use WPA2 (AES) or WPA3 security type.

obviously I can go ahead and change the settings but surprised it wasn’t shipped totally secure and which setting is better?

32 REPLIES 32

@Anonymous wrote: Clearly i'm losing my mind 

Trust it’s not worsened in last 4months, but there is a cure - it’s a medically induced forum condition predicated by futilely attempting to suffer fools gladly over a decade of CA/SU/VIP support and recognised as Variably Intermittent Personality disorder.   The prognosis administered by lower/middle VM forum management “quacks” is to enforce an early retirement remedy:   “Quod erat demonstrandum”.    😛   lmao......

On a more technically orientated observation I’m currently investigating where my new iPad Pro 12.9 with iOS pad 14.4 will not wirelessly connect on either bands of Hub 3  S/W v9.1.1912.304 H/W v10 with marginally dimmer/yellowed base light, but will readily connect to another Hub3 via same s/w but newer hardware version. Furthermore My 2016 iPad on 13.7 connects to both Hubs. And Ethernet(Cat5eUTP/6aRTP)connectivity on both iPad Pro’s still functioning with optimum speeds. 😜

Assuming I not banned in the interim for yet another politically mis-informed/conspired witch hunt then I’ll raise a separate thread and request @Kev_B allow me to disclose (what is a publically available Hub 3 hardware version) further technical details?

Good luck in meantime ...and check your PM.... 😛

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED

g0akc
Problem sorter

@paul-b wrote:

I also have this problem on my new ipad mini 5 I got this week it does not show on my ipad mini 3, I tried to change the modem settings but it would only let me change it to wpa2 and not wpa2 aes, any ideas?

WPA2   (WPA2-PSK) on the Virgin hubs uses AES

Set your hub Wi-Fi security to WPA2-PSK and check that it doesn't affect any of your other devices.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

I was having the same problem, but I eventually figured out how to fix it. There was one extra little trick that was required.

Yes, you do have to change the setting to WPA2-PSK. But what you might not notice is that in the 5 GHz settings, it still has WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK selected, and it's that one that's causing the problem.

As I have the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5 GHz, the interface greys out the security setting for 5 GHz, so it's not changeable.

So I simply added a character to the SSID for 5 GHz (just stick an 'A' on the end) (and you don't need to apply the change), and immediately the security setting becomes configurable. I changed it to WPA2-PSK, and changed the SSID back to what it was.

Then I applied the change, and it worked. One my phone had reconnected, the security warning was gone.