cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak security on brand new Hub 3

cjp1
Up to speed

We had problems with our Hub 3 so VM sent us a replacement.

I installed the hub yesterday and today have noticed in settings on two iPads and an iPhone it says weak security under the Hub name.

is this normal for a brand new hub? I’d have expected it to be shipped fully configured for a secure connection. I haven’t changed any settings on the hub.

when I click on info it says:

WPA/WPA2 (TKIP) is not considered secure.

If this is your WiFi network, configure the router to use WPA2 (AES) or WPA3 security type.

obviously I can go ahead and change the settings but surprised it wasn’t shipped totally secure and which setting is better?

32 REPLIES 32

I followed the link to rectify the message and still get weak security message.  I can confirm iPhone is not faulty, I am computer literate and set up accordingly. This is an issue with the security protocols on the router and what is available to us.  Upto Virgin to catch up and update security.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jar0996 wrote:

I followed the link to rectify the message and still get weak security message.  I can confirm iPhone is not faulty, I am computer literate and set up accordingly. This is an issue with the security protocols on the router and what is available to us.  Upto Virgin to catch up and update security.

How security works on the Hub 3 has not changed and it complies with standards for both WPA and WPA 2.. The change is within iOS for the display of 'weak security' where a router uses WPA as part of the security instead of just WPA 2.

If Virgin Media force updated all Hub 3 devices to only use WPA2 this would risk breaking existing home networks for customers if they have devices that don't use WPA2 and so that won't happen.

The steps to change the setting in the Hub is the correct one to resolve the message in iOS. If it doesn't immediately do it then I'd verify that the change has completed correctly within the Hub 3 settings.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Just connected my new Hub3 to my Apple products, all up to date software. WiFi password keeps being refused as incorrect. Unable therefore to modify Settings on my Hub. Is the weak security of significance?

@DaveRKeen wrote:

Just connected my new Hub3 to my Apple products, all up to date software. WiFi password keeps being refused as incorrect. Unable therefore to modify Settings on my Hub. Is the weak security of significance?

No it’s unrelated 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I must be thick!. I have been into the Broadband help several times and cannot change the settings from WPA to WPA2 or WPA3 on our Hub 3..

Please advise.

@aldoug wrote:

I must be thick!. I have been into the Broadband help several times and cannot change the settings from WPA to WPA2 or WPA3 on our Hub 3..

Please advise.

Read the instructions here: iOS 14 'Weak Security' 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Smit1978
Tuning in

Good Morning All,

I am after some help. I have had the same weak security message and I have changed the settings to WPA2. I forgot the network on my iphone and then reconnected. I no longer have the week security and the phone shows the tick to say it is connected but it still does not connect to the internet if I go on safari on my phone. I have checked on the hub's advanced settings and it is showing WPA2 only.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

@Smit1978 wrote:

Good Morning All,

I am after some help. I have had the same weak security message and I have changed the settings to WPA2. I forgot the network on my iphone and then reconnected. I no longer have the week security and the phone shows the tick to say it is connected but it still does not connect to the internet if I go on safari on my phone. I have checked on the hub's advanced settings and it is showing WPA2 only.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do a 60 second pinhole reset on the hub then try again 

I also have this problem on my new ipad mini 5 I got this week it does not show on my ipad mini 3, I tried to change the modem settings but it would only let me change it to wpa2 and not wpa2 aes, any ideas?

I did a change yesterday to my modem settings and set it on wpa2 and I don't know if I did not click apply but when I checked tonight it had gone back to the original settings so changed it again this time though it gave me wpa2-psk which did not show yesterday I clicked apply and it worked, and immediately my Echo stopped when I said Alexa play Gold I got a message "I am having trouble connecting to the internet" and I was about to pull the remaining hair on my head out and thought reset the Echo and it worked, all I have to do now is find out if it has affected anything else.