Menu
DH0472
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Weak Security - I need WPA2 not WEP

On my Iphone 8 it shows my WiFi as WEAK Security, it is still set as WEP and the suggestion is it should be WPA2. I have SuperHub 2 and according to the Virgin Media website this should be default to WPA2, so why isn't mine.

I have been asking questions on twitter but with no real support from Virgin Media, so please help as worried i am working at risk.

How can i change the settings so it is WPA2?

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Weak Security - I need WPA2 not WEP

easiest way would be to simply factory restore the hub, that will put it back to default, which should be WPA2.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi DH0472

Thanks for posting on our Forums 

Like what chenks advised

Can you try a pinhole reset on the back of the hub please 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I would do a FR as chenks suggested.

I would then check the Hub is set to WPA2 (AES) in the Advanced Settings Wireless section of the Hub's GUI.

If it reverts back to WEP, then it looks like you have a faulty Hub that needs to be replaced. a known issue with some SH2s.

0 Kudos
DH0472
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I tried the factory reset back in August when i first flagged the problem, but without noticing the problem either wasn't resolved or it has happened again. From looking at the comments on the forum lots of these superhub2 are faulty.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

In Broadband terms last August is sometime during the last ice age, so worth trying a FR in the first instance and keep an eye on the encryption.

My SH2 ran faultlessly for years. it is not unusual to get a false impression from a forum that is designed to deal with complains.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi DH0472

Can you please try FR one more time 

If it is still an issue after that 

Let me know 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
DH0472
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

OK, i have done the factory reset and the Weak Security message has gone ... will keep an eye on it to ensure it doesn't revert back to WEP weak security like it did after the last reset. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks DH0472 for letting us know 

If it does happen again pop back on here 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@DH0472 wrote:

OK, i have done the factory reset and the Weak Security message has gone ... will keep an eye on it to ensure it doesn't revert back to WEP weak security like it did after the last reset. Thanks.

The SH2 is well known to develop this exact problem later in life (lots of threads in these fora on it) - it will almost certainly recur, it doesnt mend itself.  You have two options.  Do as I have and put the SH2 into modem mode and connect up your own (superior) wireless router (or router + wifi access points) - or lobby VM CS to get a replacement Hub3.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos