cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting 2 Ethernet ports from hub 3 in modem mode and deco p9 router

ohhmatiz
Tuning in

Hi all,

I currently have the hub 3 in modem mode and tp link deco P9 as the mesh wifi set up. The Ethernet port from the first deco (router) provides wired connection upstairs through this face plate. Only 1 port is currently ‘live’, and I want to now use the second by installing the relevant cat 5/6 cable. My question is how should I connect the router to the 2 ports? Is this via a network switch, and if so when should the switch be used after the hub 3 or the first deco (router)?
Thank you

IMG_7911.jpeg

2 REPLIES 2

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The Deco is now the DHCP server so everything connects to it including a switch.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

g0akc
Problem sorter

When a VM hub is in modem mode one and only one port is active.  That goes to your router/devices.  DO NOT try to connect anything else to the hub.  The switch, which allows additional devices to be connected, goes to the router.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!