cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wan link aggregation hub4

risc19
Well-informed

Does anyone with more experience than me know if the hub4 allows link aggregation now?

I had no luck in modem mode, but I did mange a connection when setup as dual wan. 

However that’s not exactly an ideal way to do it. 

If it doesn’t, that means it’s basically impossible to get beyond 950mb on a wired connection?

That leaves 150mb unusable. 

Thanks for any input. 

20 REPLIES 20

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Apparently it can be done - there was a post about it on cableforum:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709413

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Blueyonderer
Up to speed

Yes it's possible but you need a router that supports round-robin link aggregation - I don't think it works with static link aggregation. This feature is usually only found on business class routers. I'm running a Mikrotik CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ and I'm getting full wired speed with the Hub 4 in modem mode with 4 LAN cables between the hub and the router (although it works with two, just fine).

Edit: I just double-checked my router config and the bonding type is set as 'balance rr' with ether1 - ether4 configured as the slave ports (I read somewhere that having 4 ports connected is more reliable than 2 and I've had no issue whatsoever with link speed/reliability since I set it up).

Here's a recent speedtest result:

speedtestMay25.PNG

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Blueyonderer wrote:

Yes it's possible but you need a router that supports round-robin link aggregation - I don't think it works with static link aggregation. This feature is usually only found on business class routers. I'm running a Mikrotik CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+  <snip>

That's a nice piece of hardware 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I always used to use Netgear ProSafe routers then switched to Asus a few years ago but I wanted something a bit more future-proof and reliable for the current working from home situation so I opted to upgrade to the Miktrotik. It's probably overkill but it has been completely reliable so far so I'm happy with it.

...plus I like lots of flashing lights 😁

May I ask if that was in modem mode?

Im just unsure if two lan ports can be active except in router mode. 

I can set link aggregation with wan and lan 4 but it fails every time. 

Dual wan works in balance rr but only when hub is on router mode. Then I have the added complication of getting everything else to be happy. 

Yes, my hub 4 is definitely in modem mode - using link aggregation all four LAN ports can be used simultaneously.

Here's a snippet from my router config, in case it's of use:WANBond.PNG

Edit: I think I might have had to reboot the hub, then power up the router once the hub was up to get them working together initially.

Another Edit: The ability to use multiple LAN ports in modem mode to support link aggregation was only introduced after a particular firmware version (exactly which/when escapes me).

@Blueyonderer

Thank you, this is super helpful.

I may give it another go.

Thanks again.

Happy to help.

I'd be interested to hear if you get it all working OK.

Nope!

I gave up.

Wan aggregation was a fail despite trying a thousand times with various settings/reboots.

Dual wan- balanced worked!

But caused so many dhcp problems I gave up on that too.

If only they had just put one 2.5g port on the hub 4.

Ah well.

Thanks for all your help folks.