cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WPA3+Wifi 6: Do any SuperHubs support it?

jimthing
Superfast

Do any Super Hubs (maybe the newest SH4?) support the newest WP3 security protocol and/or Wifi 6? 

I've literally searched everywhere, but couldn't locate the full specifications for the latest SH4 (or others), where it should give this info – other bits of SH4 specs I found but not these two pieces of information. 

TIA. 

PS. This is not related to the iOS 14 security message issue, but just a general question. 

33 REPLIES 33

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jimthing wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

802.11ax aka Wi-Fi 6 (specification released in 2019) builds on 802.11ac Wave 2 aka Wi-Fi 5 (2013).

The spec was released in 2019... So now in mid 2021, why are VM buying from their suppliers all-in-one SH's without it, given more and more devices have it, it aids contention issues in homes where IOT are crowding home networks, and more importantly it has the next improved wireless security standard of WPA3?

Money, no doubt, but certainly not a lot of forethought. 

The first hardware revision of the Hub 4 was certified by the WiFi Alliance in 2017 as shown in the link I posted above, and will have been designed before that.

So when it was designed by Arris for Liberty Global for use across all their European divisions deploying DOCSIS 3.1, Wireless ac was the available standard that Arris / CommScope could provide.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Seems ridiculous to us customers with even moderate tech knowledge, that they're ordering 2017 SH's that are already becoming out-of-date with the tech their customers are using by the time they roll them out on their Gig1 plans from late 2020 into late 2021. I get they have long lead times, but offering customers 3-year old certified SH's that have been superceded, still seems short-sighted. 

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There will be a WiFi 6 Hub on it's way, just as there were Wireless ac, Wireless n and Wireless g devices before them.

Most customers either have no WiFi 6 devices or don't have enough to take advantage of the features that WiFi 6 offers, so there is no burning requirement for Virgin Media to launch it before it's cost effective for them to do so.

Currently WiFi 6 device are still expensive compared to WiFi 5/ac devices. There are more cost effective ways to improve customer's broadband and home wireless peformance

For the general broadband performance the key improvement is the DOCSIS 3.1 network that the Hub 4 can access which is why it started to be sent to customers on lower than Gig1 speeds. And for home wireless performance, that was the point of the launch of the Pods mesh networking devices.

Unfortunately Covid has affected all hardware supply and launches.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Covid strikes again. Oh well, won't be upgrading to Gig1 for ~12mths, so will wait. Me out of here. Thanks all.