cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WPA3+Wifi 6: Do any SuperHubs support it?

jimthing
Superfast

Do any Super Hubs (maybe the newest SH4?) support the newest WP3 security protocol and/or Wifi 6? 

I've literally searched everywhere, but couldn't locate the full specifications for the latest SH4 (or others), where it should give this info – other bits of SH4 specs I found but not these two pieces of information. 

TIA. 

PS. This is not related to the iOS 14 security message issue, but just a general question. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
They don't, no.

But you can put the hub into Modem Mode and use your own router/mesh/AP that supports Wifi6 and/or WPA3.

But it's worth noting that speed-wise you'll be limited to 940Mbps due to the Hub's only have Gigabit ports.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

33 REPLIES 33

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
They don't, no.

But you can put the hub into Modem Mode and use your own router/mesh/AP that supports Wifi6 and/or WPA3.

But it's worth noting that speed-wise you'll be limited to 940Mbps due to the Hub's only have Gigabit ports.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Thanks for quick answer. Seems a bit weird that Virgin Media are offering a gigabit plan, but no router with both these functions on it, to be honest. 

Have I got it right... Does that mean, using modem mode, even buying one of those newer super-fast third party Wifi 6 routers that can do well over 2+Gbps speeds are therefore not worth buying, as they won't allow faster WLAN connections between fast Wifi 6 devices on your own home network? 

Also do all Wifi 6 routers require WPA3 support, or is it still only optional on them? 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you use your own WiFi 6 router it will connect at full speed on your internal network with any of your own devices that are also equipped with WiFi 6.

The data flow between the Hub and your own router will be limited to 960Mb and therefore none of your devices will get more than a total of 960Mb from the Internet, shared between them.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I believe the Gig1 plan was released before Wifi6 was publicly available, and VM presumably already signed the deal with Arris to supply the Hub4 for the DOCSIS 3.1 connections needed for the Gig1 plan.

So the connection from wifi device to wifi device on your WLAN doesn't go through the VM router (in modem mode) at all then, just the third party router, thus giving those faster local network speeds? (say, when transferring files from device-to-device.)

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes, assuming the Hub is in modem mode and you have added your own router.  That's what the 'router' does.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Ah ok. I thought the connection into modem mode SH might be a bottleneck to LAN (wired or wireless) usage, when moving data between local devices at high speed. 

Anyhoo, still debating whether to invest in one, as good routers tend to be expensive, then you have mesh-type ones too (though I live in a small flat, so debatable on needing that). Then you have to wonder if VM are likely to update to something like an SH5 that actually offers Wifi 6+WPA3 security anyway... though knowing VM, I won't hold my breath for that anytime soon! 

Thanks both again. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I don't see any incentive for VM to spend money on more expensive Hubs to allow faster LAN connections than their Internet service can provide. 

- jpeg1

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@jimthing wrote:

Then you have to wonder if VM are likely to update to something like an SH5 that actually offers Wifi 6+WPA3 security anyway..

They can't make the current hubs run well for the wifi they got now and even then Wifi 6 will not be supports for testing your speed.

---------------------------------------------------------------