Menu
Highlighted
paul-e123
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

WIFI on "super" hub 2 dropping out Minute - by - minute

this is possibly a conspiracy to get us all to increase our subscription fees to Virgin, but, I too am experiencing Minute-by-minute drop outs with this so-called "superhub", honestly, it's rubbish. the thing operates for minutes following a reboot but drops out within minutes. sometimes the 2.4 and 5ghz lights show, sometimes not, the hub is in the same place as it's been for 2 years, I cannot use a hard wired system as it's in the wrong place. I rely on this wireless hub for my parents security and my peace of mind. if this isn't sorted and Virgin don't offer me a free upgrade REAL SOON, I will be going to....... dare I say it............. SKY or BT. maybe they could do with my money?

0 Kudos
BriE
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WIFI on "super" hub 2 dropping out Minute - by - minute

This may not be your Ideal option but you could buy another none virgin Router and switch the hub2 to modem mode only. You would then use the none virgin router for your wifi and ethernet connections. I have the SH2 and touch wood I havn't had problems with it upto now. I'm certainly not going for a SH3 with all the bad press they get. I did the above some years ago with a virgin hub, may have been sh1 if there was such a beast and it worked fine as a modem only.

Hope you get sorted.

paul-e123
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

sadly, I'm experiencing drop-outs on the modem also (I'm not too technical I'm afraid). I have a security camera system plugged in to the router which (I'm told) points the cameras signal directly to the interweb. when the "superhub" is showing the blue "2.54 and 5ghz" signs, I still get no wireless connection and cannot connect via my phones' data connection to my cameras! I believe this means the cameras are not getting signal to the interweb. so I feel (I may be wrong) that the black box / "superhub" is completely faulty. I do however agree that getting a different manufacturers router with modem may be the way forward. I don't know if I can use say a BT or Linksys unit in its place? will it work? but thanks for your support. p,

0 Kudos
Andruser
Rising star
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Any router should work.  Search the forums and there's plenty of guidance on how to set it up. Bear in mind that for best performance you don't want a router that doesn't support the wifi standard 802.11ac, and ideally you want both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands - but certainly for trial purposes it should be fine to use any old router you can find in a bottom drawer.

But if you're experiencing problems on the cable modem side, then you probably need a new hub anyway - the Virginmedia branded ones were made to be cheap as possible, and are not very durable (compared to say the old Motorola Surfboards).  Keep a record of service interruptions, call up VM and demand a new hub.  If they agree you'll get the Hub 3 which has problems for enthusiastic gamers, and sometimes for users of Lync and Skype types of service, but is adequate for undemanding use, and might avoid the need to mess about with a separate router.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello paul-e123

Sorry you are having wireless stability problems, do you happen to have any Google, Chromecast apps or devices as this issue may be implicated Super Hub 2 WiFi Performance

If you have it should hopefully be fixed now, would you please bring us up to date.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos