Menu
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: WIFI light flashing green and slow weak signal

I understand the flashing green light is a known glitch that still hasn't quite been cleared up yet - as long as the service isn't impacted I wouldn't worry too much.

With regards to the email issues mentioned - have you noticed if this is impacting one email address specifically, or multiple?

Tom

0 Kudos
sj22
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I've tested the email addresses, I have about 4 different ones I tested (all forwarded from 123reg) and all are currently arriving 4-10hrs late. Which is unusual, because a week ago they were arriving almost instantaneously. I tested these by sending myself emails at those addresses. Outside of tests, I usually only receive about 10 emails a day to those addresses. I do not send from those addresses . 

I was waiting for theatre tickets to be emailed from Eventbrite last week and they barely came in time, usually they send out out a booking confirmation instantly, which they had but it had taken several hours to reach me. 

Is there something up? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Sj22. 

Can you confirm if you've been sending your emails via the WiFi network? 

I've had a back end of your services and it looks like you have a few devices which are to close the hub which could cause issues with the WiFi and therefore cause a delay in your emails coming through. 

Please take a look at our WiFi wins here on tips how to get the best from your WiFi at home. 

If that doesn't help then I would advise that emails aren't always instant and in some cases there can be a delay. 

Aside from the delay are you still receiving your emails or are you getting any error messages? 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
sj22
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 20
Flag for a moderator

hi emma, 

yes I am sending my emails via wifi. The wifi is back to normal now (I think) after the engineer visit and after I rebooted my machines. He didn't comment on any devices near my hub. The advice I was given on the phone was to have my Mac close to the hub, which I always have, its about 5cm away on my desk. as I mentioned before in this thread (if you skim back) we have new neighbours, but the wifi is back to normal now.. it was just  power levels apparently. 

My ntlworld email address with you works instantaneously. But emails to my email address with my own domain (forwarded from 123 reg) are suddenly being really delayed 4-8hrs. Eg, if I send myself an email from my ntlworld address to my domain address it will arrive hours late. If I send an email from my ntlworld address to my ntlworld address , it arrives within seconds.  Until a week ago both email addresses would take the same time. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 20
Flag for a moderator

If you want your MAC close to the hub then I would advise connecting this via Ethernet. 

We certainly shouldn't be recommending devices are that close to the hub as they can cause disruption. 

The 5GHZ WiFi connection does have a shorter range but we'd still recommend at least one meter clearance from your hub as per our WiFi wins. 

In regards to your email issue, as you are able to send and receive them straight away with your Virgin email address then it does point that the issue lies with your own remain or 123 reg. 

Glad to hear that your broadband issues are sorted. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 16 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@sj22 wrote:

The advice I was given on the phone was to have my Mac close to the hub, which I always have, its about 5cm away on my desk.

Shouldn't "need" to be that close.   For example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection - but only when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot which is about 5m away from my wifi router.    if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps - it's just the limitations of the technology- so 5GHz is better when you can.

if you want to connect it by Cat6 cable but it has no ethernet port, you can get 1Gb adapters from the usual online places to connect a RJ45 ethernet Cat6 cable to a USB3/T'bolt port on the Mac - I use one occasionally and get full speeds

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
sj22
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Alessandro - i dont understand some of your stuff about Hertz. But during my hour long conversations with the Indian call centre , they were adamant that I had to have my devices very close to my hub, and that was  why my WIFI was weak. Turned out it was power levels issue. They tried to sell me a booster ! I knew that in the past my devices had worked when several metres from the hub, so I knew they were wrong. That is fixed now after an engineer visit and my reboot. 

Its a shame about these sudden email delays though 😞 

0 Kudos
sj22
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 20
Flag for a moderator

emails continuing to be delayed by several hours if they are coming from  my domains hosted by 123Reg. Im only talking about a handful of emails here, but they are hours late. In the past they have arrived instantaneously. 

I am getting this message occasionally. And its raining heavily again here - but thats always when my WIFI and emails play up it seems ! Could it be connected? Any problems your end? Sorry my photo of the error message isn't showing up , it reads: Connections to the server "IMAP.virginmedia.com" on the default ports timed out. 

IMG15 nov alert.jpg

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 19 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@sj22 wrote:

Alessandro - i dont understand some of your stuff about Hertz. But during my hour long conversations with the Indian call centre , they were adamant that I had to have my devices very close to my hub, and that was  why my WIFI was weak. Turned out it was power levels issue. They tried to sell me a booster ! I knew that in the past my devices had worked when several metres from the hub, so I knew they were wrong. That is fixed now after an engineer visit and my reboot. 

Its a shame about these sudden email delays though 😞 

Its John - alessandro is the first name of Volta - of battery fame 😀

Hz refers to the frequencies of your 2 wifi bands.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
sj22
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom, 

I'm still having the issue of delayed emails. These are emails forwarded from 3 domains I have with 123 Reg. I've had a long phonecall with 123 Reg today, they say the issue is not their end. They say it is how Virgin treat the incoming emails. I also talked to Sean from Virgin today who was very helpful but did not know the ins and out of email technicalities. These emails were all arriving promptly until a few weeks ago. Ive had concert tickets that Ive bought arrive by email days after the concert . All my Cyber Monday offers arrived today (Tuesday). And a Bunch of Black Friday emails arrived on Saturday and Sunday that were all sent earlier. I can send test emails to myself at my domain email addresses, and they arrive  30mins - 3days late. I don't know if any are completely missing. 123 reg sent me an email this morning to my ntlworld address that has not arrived yet. There was an "Account Error" message briefly flash up around that time on my MacMail.    I am continuing to receive the same emails, at the same time,  on the Virgin Email webpage as on my MacMail , no differences. 

I had this problems months ago when I used Easily for my domains and email forwarding. Easily were hard to contact so I moved my domains to 123 Reg. To begin with there were no problems. But now I am facing the same delays. 

0 Kudos