cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI issues again

mark_a_carpente
Dialled in

Ok so after a long while without any problems my WIFI has started messing around again. The 5GHZ has a problem and works sporadically but is very unreliable so I disabled it as I can use the 2.4GHZ without any trouble and been fine for months. Suddenly the 5GHZ has started turning itself back on again for no reason, I am not doing this it's turning on all by itself. I only know it's happend when suddenly I can't connect or get basically no speed. Why has this suddenly started happening again ? it's done it 3 times now inside of the last month I seem to be back to having to log into the superhub and disable it again

Can someone please tell me why this has not been happening for like 9 months and now suddenly the problem has come back

10 REPLIES 10

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is a bug with thr sh3 that it disables WiFi, virgins quick fix is that they have a script that auto enables the 5ghz untill they can get to the bottom of the issue.

Instead of turning off the 5ghz you can rename it a different name. This also means you can connect to 5ghz for your faster devices 

That's just stupid they need to get rid of this script as the 2.4 works fine. Got home from work tonight and surprise surprise the 5ghz has turned itself on again

I'll have to try the renaming thing see if that works as with my android devices they ignore the 2.4ghz all the time they can detect a 5ghz signal which does not work properly. Must admit I didn't know you could rename them seperately I just assumed it was all the same for both signals

Why do Virgin insist on keep reactiaving my 5GHZ wireless ??? this has happened twice AGAIN now in the space of a week. First time I got some stupid email telling me they have done something which basically just meant they turned the 5GHZ back on and it's done it again today all by itself. Getting really fed up of this now just occuring at random as you have no idea when it's going to happen, it went like 4 months before without a problem then does it a few times in quick succession. It's a pain having to keep turning the PC on to log into the superhub and turn off the 5GHZ

THE 5GHZ DOES NOT WORK  WHY DO YOU THINK I KEEP DISABLING IT !!!!

I have tried renaming it and also not broadcasting the name but it does not make any difference as soon as the 5GHZ signal is active the 2.4ghz drops out and you can not connect to it. I really do not have the time to be waiting around for an engineer visit at the momment I have actually got to go to work. The 2.4GHZ works 100% perfectly and I get between 30-100mb speed which is more than enough for my needs. Good job i'm not trying to work from home using WIFI otherwise I would be going insane with the same problem over and over again

PLEASE STOP REMOTELY REACTIVATING THE 5GHZ SIGNAL ON MY SUPERHUB NOW

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As said VM know about this and are working on a fix for everyone - and when they have it it will be rolled out for everyone.

Note that 5GHz will always give the better (faster) connection than the 2.4 band.

However its "range" is more limited - and so - as your devices get further away or are obstructed then they will just fall off that SSID and disconnect. Thats probably whats happening in your location. My Apple devices just autoswitch themselves to the 2.4 band when that happens

If 2.4 works for you - then just set your devices to ... "Forget this Network' (i.e. the 5GHz SSID) - easily done on Apple devices - no idea what you need to do on the Android ones but it must be an option.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

For android it is the same - Long press on the network and 'forget'

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Range is not the issue I can stand right in front of the superhub and it still does not work

I have removed the wifi from my android devices, renamed the 5ghz and added the 2.4 only but the same problem persists. As soon as the 5ghz signal becomes active the 2.4 stops working. You get various errors such as "connected no internet" or it tries to connect over and over then comes up "password maybe incorrect" or just gives up. Occasionally it will connect and work for about 10 minutes but then the speed drops to basically nothing. The old superhub I had before you could only chose 2.4 or 5ghz wifi as it would not support both so I don't know if something similar is going on here

The superhub obviously has a problem and will need to be replaced at some point. When I log in to it the 5ghz settings are always different to how I had them with things being changed, such as the channel optimisation turning itself back on, and other things being greyed out

For now all I want is the 5ghz to be left disabled and not keep being remotely reactivated at random as the 2.4ghz works perfectly and is more than fast enough for what I need just doing something on my phone or tablet. My laptop will get 100mb speed on 2.4ghz which is the same as the hard wired ethernet connection anyway 

Hi @mark_a_carpente,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am very sorry to hear that you seem to be having some ongoing issues with your Wi-Fi service, specifically when your devices connect to the 5Ghz band.

As I can see some other forum users have mentioned, it should help if you instruct the devices to forget the 5GHz network, because it then won't automatically connect to that network band. You can split the SSIDs so you can differentiate and select between the two bands manually with each device.

You can find more details on how to access and adjust the router's advance settings here.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

If you read what I have said before I have already done that but it seems to make no difference

As soon as the 5ghz signal becomes active the wifi stops working even when connected to 2.4ghz

Thanks for coming back to us mark_a_carpente,

Are you able to perform a reboot on the hub, or if possible, a pin hole reset on the hub to see if this allows you to obtain a more stable 5GHz connection?

I can see that the hub has a current uptime of 17 days

Kindest regards,

David_Bn