cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI Crashing constantly?

mamachill
Dialled in

Virgin has the worst customer service ever, used to be brill when we first joined but now you just get passed from pillar to post or fobbed off. We've been with Virgin a decade and nothings changed this end re location of my laptop or the router in the other room, but for the past year and a half my laptop crashes sometimes 4 times a day sometimes 30+, can no longer watch work instructional videos that i need too , or listen to music without internet crashing out. Spoke to a very rude woman at Virgin who tried to flog me a booster ? When i refused she offered a new router as she said ours was old and that was the problem, I knew it wasn't, but she was so short tempered, i agreed, got a Hub 3 but nothings changed, the signal is daily unstable, worse than ever.  Yesterday internet went down, a smug recorded voice at VM HQ said it was because they were "Making it better for us" ?  so our post code would have problems. It came back later but ever since mine keeps dropping out after minutes, yesterday and today, I've already had to restart 5 times. There is only my mums computer and my laptop, in rooms next to each other so this situation is ridiculous, we're either told to ring, in which case you're fobbed off by someone that hasn't got a clue, or Twitter VM tells you to come here? I have an elderly mother here, I'm disabled and do charity work from home, so it's frustrating and soul destroying to waste days not getting anything done other than restarting my laptop and wifi? It never used to be like this? What's happened Virgin? Prices increase but the service is dreadful in comparison? 

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you please post the network log and power levels from your Hub for comment?  Once we have these we can try to assist with the issue.

You can also try splitting the SSID as below as it may help with the wifi disconnections.

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz and click on Apply changes

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

If you're not technical and have cognitive problem, as i do that really doesn't help and looks like gobble-de-**bleep**, but thanks for trying. 

Virgin have bleeped a word as though I swore ? I didn't.  I found this, is this what you meant?  

SSID: VM1186950
Protocol: Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n)
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 2.4 GHz
Network channel: 11
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 144/72 (Mbps)
Link-local IPv6 address: fe80::8d3:3b26:c78e:d6f4%19
IPv4 address: 192.168.0.11
IPv4 DNS servers: 194.168.4.100
Manufacturer: Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc.
Description: Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter
Driver version: 3.0.2.201
Physical address (MAC): **:**:**:**:**:**

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Their auto-bleeper probably thinks your word is a "racial slur" emanating from the Vietnam war 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi mamachill,

Thank you for your post. Our apologies that we missed this thread. 

We would like to take a look into this for you. I have located your account. 

And will private message you to pass some data protection. 

^Martin

Thankyou, Ah my mothers the account holder, but as a pensioner she finds it way too stressful dealing with  Virgin hence why I do it, so the email would've i'm guessing gone to her?  I'll have to  check out her computer and get back. 

Hi mamachill,

It is a letter that has been sent out. Not an email. 

^Martin