cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WI FI WOES IN LIVING ROOM

budgie54
On our wavelength

REceived an email last week  telling me Intelligent Wifi got my back and they’d found a traffic jam in my home but that it has now been optimised to correct said traffic jam. It found gadgets were running into a bit of a WiFi traffic jam so it’s switched them to the quietest lanes.     

Well since this has happened my wifi had dipped in my living room and kitchen areas.  The other 2 beds are fine.   Was all working perfectly well before this and I had no complaints with it.  I’m on one level and all my rooms are next to each other or just across from each other.  I’ve done all the usual things.   Can someone from Virgin maybe assist and tell me what to do from here and how I get my wifi back to working perfectly in both areas again as it was before it was interfered with please.  Keep it simple I’m not a techie.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@jbrennand I think they may suggest you do a pinhole reset on the Hub - and it would return it to the exact same settings you had before they changed it - and all connectivity "should" revert back.

I'd have thought "intelligent wifi" was enabled by default in the latest firmware?  And if that uses any remote data analysis to drive changes, then sooner or later it will repeat the changes.

Like John, I'm ensuring I have complete control over my wifi by providing my own wifi gear and operating the hub in modem mode.  That gets me better wifi that nobody meddles with, but spending around £100 to do that isn't everybody's cup of tea.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
They have taken it upon themselves to start doing this - even if not asked for. was everything working ok for you previously or were there issues?

Do you actually know what wifi channels you were set using previously? It is straightforward to change them back if you do. If not then a wifi scanning App on a smartphone will give a good indication of which channel will be best in your locations for the 2 different frequencies (2.4 & 5 GHz)

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

thank you for your reply.  I never asked them to do this. Everything was  absolutely fine before they did this.  I’ve never set any channels before so have no idea what was being used for what.  I just know that it worked fine.   I’ll try and download a wifi scanning app.    I do wish though someone from Virgin would come on and tell me how they are going to sort it since they messed it up

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
VM will respond on here in a day or so and see what can be done.

I think they may suggest you do a pinhole reset on the Hub - and it would return it to the exact same settings you had before they changed it - and all connectivity "should" revert back.

Had you previously changed the Network name and/or passwords in the Hub settings when you first set it up?

If you do pinhole reset.... those will revert back to the "factory set ones" printed on the Hub's base sticker.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@jbrennand I think they may suggest you do a pinhole reset on the Hub - and it would return it to the exact same settings you had before they changed it - and all connectivity "should" revert back.

I'd have thought "intelligent wifi" was enabled by default in the latest firmware?  And if that uses any remote data analysis to drive changes, then sooner or later it will repeat the changes.

Like John, I'm ensuring I have complete control over my wifi by providing my own wifi gear and operating the hub in modem mode.  That gets me better wifi that nobody meddles with, but spending around £100 to do that isn't everybody's cup of tea.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @budgie54.

Welcome back to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry for the lose of connection in your home.

I was able to locate your account using your forums details, I can not see any issues with your equipment, also the up and downstream seem to be running fine.

Have you got any Bluetooth devices close to your Hub? Is the Hub in a open location in the home? 

Look forward to your response.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

budgie54
On our wavelength

Thank you for checking this and letting me know you can’t see any problems.  That is something at least.

The problem was just in the living room area and kitchen area I seem to have a very bad wifi connection which drops constantly or doesn’t work well at all.   There are no Bluetooth devices close to Hub.  Hub is sitting on a shelf on its own three quarters of the way up the wall facing outwards towards the door.     Signal in living room and kitchen seems ok just now but it most certainly dips a lot at various times - I keep a note of these - which means it is not always possible to use in these areas.
  Please note I do not have upstairs and it is only about five feet at most from living room and kitchen to the bedroom where the modem is.   I certainly get a good enough speed mostly but not always a good strength of signal in the kitchen and living room areas.   It would be good if I could get a more reliable and stronger  wifi signal in these areas 

Thank you for answering 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

No problem @budgie54.

Thank you for confirming this information.

Have you tried using your wired connection to see if this helps? I know this is not always ideal but it does offer a more stable connection, Wi-Fi is not stable due to many variables that can cause signal loss.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

budgie54
On our wavelength

The wired connection is fine. Already use this for other items which get used regularly.  So therefore there is no further space for using wired unless I take something out which shouldn’t be necessary as I’m paying for wireless as well as wired - which of course is limited to how many items you can use and what these are. I currently want to use my iPad in my living room or kitchen - I can’t do a wired connection with an iPad even if I wanted to.    So that really isn’t an option.
I have two neighbours in houses exactly like mine.  One has Sky and the other is with BT. Both have excellent wifi coverage throughout their whole home - same size and same layout as mine.  They are next door and next door but one.   So, if they can get good wifi coverage with these providers why can’t I?  It see,s to me that Virgin is failing to deliver a service I am paying for
I have been a customer for almost 17 years now but I seriously think if this can’t be improved and your telling me it’s the best you can do then it’s time for a change to a provider who can provide the service I am laying for.   It can be provided as I have already stated.     
My husband also has a 3 mobile wifi dongle he uses when out and about for watching tv etc - I can use this in my living room and kitchen and receive a good signal - so why if all these providers can give me a strong wifi signal can’t Virgin do the same.   Maybe if you would pass this on to someone more technically minded I may get some kind of explanation. 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I am sorry for the internet connection at the moment @budgie54.

I can not speak on behalf of another service provider, but we do try to provide with tips on how to improve your signal.

We do provide Wi-Fi pods, have you looked into this? 

Also, we would be sad to see you go, but if this is what you need to do then we would understand.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team