cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WFH using VPN:Zscaler

RR2023
Tuning in

Hi all. 

I've been with Virgin over 3 years and for the last 4 weeks each time whilst working from home my connection has been dropping whilst using my work laptop. The speed connection drops so much that my entire laptop is lagging so much that I'm unable to use any of the systems/e-mail properly. 

This is only affecting my work laptop device at home which is using Zscaler and I have no issues with my work laptop when using it at work in the office. When the connection drops massively at home, iI have tried using a cable to plug directly into the router which makes no difference. My personal laptop, mobile etc seem to have no issues at home.

My work IT have advised that Zscaler is being blocked/restricted by Virgin and should be "Whitelisted". I have been going back and forth with Virgin but currently do not have a solution. 

Has anyone else experienced this issues and how was it resolved please ? 

thanks 

15 REPLIES 15

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
See if its any better in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @RR2023 thanks for your post here, although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised regarding your connection.

We do not interfere with VPN's so unfortunately, so we would not be able to remove a blacklist as one wouldn't exist to this particular VPN. 

We would advise going back to your IT issues for further support, but it may be worth seeing if this happens via ethernet as well as WiFi. 

Many thanks

Tom_W

• Sorry do you mean using another router being plugged into virgin router when it's in modem mode ?

Hi Tom

Unfortunately I have already connected an ethernet cable into the router directly and issue is the same when connecting via WiFi.

My work laptop works fine using different isp and on mobile hotspot when connectivity has dropped/lagging massively.  The issue seems to be only with virgin media when wfh.

Please could you advise why this would happen only with vm? 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@RR2023 wrote:

Please could you advise why this would happen only with vm? 

Bad NAT router mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Whilst I'm now no longer with VM, for the preceding year I was, and using Zscaler regularly as the works VPN, so I can confirm that there's nothing about VM that I saw that interfered with Zscaler.  There were some glitches, those were always down to the frailty of the DOCSIS connection, not routing or interference with Zscaler.  So I'm guessing that you've got a slightly flakey broadband connection, and you're noticing it because (a) Zscaler takes a few seconds to re-establish when the connection gets broken and you get the Zscaler popup notifications and (b) you're online with a work VPN for much longer than most domestic use.

I'd setup a BQM and let that monitor your connection - I'd anticipate that there will some latency spikes (or even packet loss events), and the route cause of those will be noise or power problems on the VM broadband connection.  You might want to take a look at the hub's status data and see what that has to offer.

@Andrew-G wrote:

Whilst I'm now no longer with VM, for the preceding year I was, and using Zscaler regularly as the works VPN, so I can confirm that there's nothing about VM that I saw that interfered with Zscaler.  There were some glitches, those were always down to the frailty of the DOCSIS connection, not routing or interference with Zscaler.  So I'm guessing that you've got a slightly flakey broadband connection, and you're noticing it because (a) Zscaler takes a few seconds to re-establish when the connection gets broken and you get the Zscaler popup notifications and (b) you're online with a work VPN for much longer than most domestic use.

I'd setup a BQM and let that monitor your connection - I'd anticipate that there will some latency spikes (or even packet loss events), and the route cause of those will be noise or power problems on the VM broadband connection.  You might want to take a look at the hub's status data and see what that has to offer.

Agree. I use zScaler all the time for work on HUB5 and have no problems but it is in modem mode to my own router.

The issue I'm having is that it is occurring every time I am wfh and the connection drops for a couple of hours and then reverts. Obviously in those several hours I am unable to work properly because the lag is very bad and unable to use systems etc.  Just to clarify there are no zscaler pop up notifications and also using ethernet cable directly into router made no difference. 

I've tested this at neighbours house who also has virgin and its same issue. That's the BQM i've set up below from today and you can see massive packet issue.  

In terms of the hub status data... what am I looking for there (sorry I'm not very IT technical!)?

RR2023_0-1677273986970.png

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/3c759738ae6b7ce960d30f4f9f0850b0afdf7e40-24-02-