cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volt upgrade, lack of wi-fi coverage, alternative router?

rafaellomo
Tuning in

Hello all,

I am O2 customer as well as Virgin Media customer. I have asked both parties about a potential upgrade from 500Mb, but Virgin Customer Service said that my broadband is still not active and I need to wait for 7 days for it to activate?

It is weird, as it was activated yesterday, and I am texting from it right now.

I believe, that if upgrade from Volt would go trough, I would get 1Gbit, and a new router (currently Hub 3). That leads to another problem.

Flat is quite tiny, but going from living room to my bedroom gives me only 2 bars on 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi, and no signal from 5Ghz.

Would potential Hub 4.0 (5.0?) be helpful in that matter? Or should I think of getting a new router and using Hub just as a modem. If so, what would be your reccomendations? I am quite tight on the budget, so was thinking of getting something for up to 50 GBP, most likely used. OpenWrt or Tomato would be a really nice bonus.

Thank you for the advice and help! And I hope that one of the VM staff will also help me with going trough with the Volt upgrade!

8 REPLIES 8

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Although you would get the Hub 4 as part of Gig1, as a Volt customer you also can get the Intelligent WiFi Plus Pods which are designed to help extend the coverage of WiFi.

These work with the Hub 3 as well as the 4 so you don't need to upgrade to get them, just be on a Volt bundle.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Witter87
Tuning in

I bought this router and set it up when my 200mbps broadband package was connected yesterday and it gives me brilliant coverage and speed all over the house

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08JGTCSXZ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_E6J113XQKRA92NAMCKAR?_encoding=UTF8...

Good deal! I wonder if it would be suitable for 1Gbit in the (hopefully near) future as well

@rafaellomo wrote:

Good deal! I wonder if it would be suitable for 1Gbit in the (hopefully near) future as well

It has speeds up to 3000mbps 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Witter87 wrote:

It has speeds up to 3000mbps 

Which is meaningless but has 1Gb ports but can it NAT WAN to LAN at that speed is the question.  

---------------------------------------------------------------

And Huawei has got Huawei's spyware with calling home constantly... 

Would this be a better option? 

Tenda AC23 AC2100 Smart WiFi Router - Dual Band Gigabit Wireless (up to 2033 Mbps), 1400 sq ft Cover...

Or RX3 from the same listing?

@rafaellomo wrote:

And Huawei has got Huawei's spyware with calling home constantly... 

Would this be a better option? 

Tenda AC23 AC2100 Smart WiFi Router - Dual Band Gigabit Wireless (up to 2033 Mbps), 1400 sq ft Cover...

Or RX3 from the same listing?

What does spyware with calling home mean? the router you posted looks good too so you could get that and it will be better than the virgin media hub

You could consider using a powerline kit to get wired and/or wifi into other parts of the house