cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virginmedia network attacks letter

mezzaninedoor
On our wavelength

I have got a network attacks letter from Virgin, this has now got me worried and I’ve spent the last day checking my devices

letter headed ‘VMIS60-NETWORKATTACKS-F009348729’

i have used AVG and other AV software to check my mobile phones, iPads and laptops but haven’t found anything

THIS now worries me that it’s in my IOT devices which I have no idea how to check e.g. Fire TV cube, Alexa, Google Nest, Smart TVs etc etc

any advice appreciated as I don’t want my broadband cut off

10 REPLIES 10

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is the nature of the "attack", what details did they give you to ascertain where the "threat" is coming from?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

They don’t really 😕

The letter just points you at their network attacks page - 

http://virginmedia.com/networkattacks

also references that we might get help from the community pages &

just says that malware might be causing these network attacks from my network

its all very limited to help me and I have no idea how you investigate malware on IOT devices 😕

Welcome back to the community @mezzaninedoor.

Have you followed all of the instructions on the link and have any issues been found, when doing that?

Have you noticed any issues with any of your services or devices?

Regards,

Steven_L

I’ve not noticed any problems with IOT, devices or laptops personally

Your VM checks can miss stuff if it roots in the OS.

UPnP enabled be VM router mode is likely to blame.

If a device is DoS you can run BQM to see it happening that by its self will not help you find the problem but it shows you have something bad in your network.

Really you need a USG VLAN your IOT stuff and check with built in Wireshark as to what the problem device(s) is.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyxel-ZyWALL-Wireless-Firewall-recommended/dp/B00KD5LJI4/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @mezzaninedoor

Were you able to follow the advice from @legacy1 and run a BQM? https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

Were any issues showing on the network on your BQM?

Kind regards,

Serena

I got a bit confused.

I don’t know what a BQM is?

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Sorry for any confusion, if you follow the link my college posted above you can set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts. It does it 24/7 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections.

Tom

I’ve set up quality monitors but I’ve not been able to determine anything worrying

i wish the letter was more specific as I have iPads connected, lightbulbs connected etc etc and I’m not very good at working out where the problem is

ive now had a second letter

ive turned web safe on as instructed, I use AVG on my laptops however I rarely have them up and running, the most used devices on my network are my fire tv and smart TVs and iPads and I just done know what to do that’s within a layman’s skill set

Tony