cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin wifi pod low speed

sumitapata
Tuning in

Hi Community,

I am new to virgin media (December) and having issues getting reliable speeds (that I pay for) in every part of the house. I have a 350 mbps connection.

I have ordered 3 wifi pods to far to improve the speed and reach but still struggling.

Hence I am starting off on a optimisation work. I have switched off all 3 pods and trying to optimise 1 at a time.

But I see an issue as soon as I start. I have an area in the kitchen I am getting 270 mbps with just from the hub. But the other end of the kitchen is a dead spot. So I placed the 1st pod at the place where I got 270 mbps. But if I turn the pod ON I get at the exact same spot 30-40 mbps.

This sounds worrying. I have tried resets and with multiple speed test apps. But the behaviour is same. At the same good spot, speed is good with hub only but bad with pod.

Are the pods working correctly and giving the expected speed?

13 REPLIES 13

carl_pearce
Community elder

@sumitapata wrote:

Hi Community,

I am new to virgin media (December) and having issues getting reliable speeds (that I pay for) in every part of the house. I have a 350 mbps connection.

I have ordered 3 wifi pods to far to improve the speed and reach but still struggling.

Hence I am starting off on a optimisation work. I have switched off all 3 pods and trying to optimise 1 at a time.

But I see an issue as soon as I start. I have an area in the kitchen I am getting 270 mbps with just from the hub. But the other end of the kitchen is a dead spot. So I placed the 1st pod at the place where I got 270 mbps. But if I turn the pod ON I get at the exact same spot 30-40 mbps.

This sounds worrying. I have tried resets and with multiple speed test apps. But the behaviour is same. At the same good spot, speed is good with hub only but bad with pod.

Are the pods working correctly and giving the expected speed?

Just a correction you pay for the speed to the HUB over the VM network, not full wireless speed to your whole home. No ISP guarantees this.

You should be placing the pods roughly half way between the HUB and the point of coverage required. They are designed to repeat a good signal. Even if one of your devices is getting 'good' speed doesn't mean the pod will be getting a good signal in the same area.

No sure I understand. The pods are supposed to be placed halfway between the dead zone and hub, agreed. But if the pod can't even provide the same level of speed as the hub does where it's placed, then how can it extend the connectivity to the dead zone? 

@sumitapata wrote:

No sure I understand. The pods are supposed to be placed halfway between the dead zone and hub, agreed. But if the pod can't even provide the same level of speed as the hub does where it's placed, then how can it extend the connectivity to the dead zone? 

It needs a good signal in to put a good signal out.

If you place it in a lower signal area you are just repeating a lower/slower signal.

And that's what I am trying. Trying to put it at a location which already gets good coverage. The only way I can tell good coverage is high speeds on my devices (tested with 2 devices). But as soon as I turn it ON, it results in the same 2 devices getting lower speed.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi sumitapata,

Thank for your post and welcome to the community.

Apologies for signal issues you're experiencing, can I ask are the same speed results appearing on all Pods within their selected rooms?

Regards,

Kain

Hi Kain,

Yes. Happening with all the 3 pods where at the exact same spot (closer to where the pod is connected), I get good speeds (300+Mbps) and as soon as I turn on the pod I get 30Mbps or lower.

Thanks for coming back to us @sumitapata

Are the Wi-Fi pods located close to other pieces of electrical equipment?

Some devices close to Wi-Fi pods may cause interference to Wi-Fi signals, so relocating equipment could be a wise move.

It may also be worth taking time to read through the Wi-Fi pods FAQs for further assistance.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

ocasaenva
Joining in

I got a virgin media intelligent WiFi pod sent out to me a week ago and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I have a Hub 4 but I have 2 separate networks for 2.4 and 5GHz. Will the pod still work or does it have to be 1 single network. The pod light blinked for 10 mins then stopped showing that it is connected and the ethernet works on it but I don't see any difference in WiFi strength.

I have followed the instructions and moved them around and also placed them at completely free from other electrical equipments. But still as mentioned if my device connects to the hub I get 300 Mbps and if it’s connected to the pod I get 30 Mbps. The test is at the exact same location and done by keeping my phone close to the pod.

This shows that the hub is able to provide good speed at the location. As mentioned also made sure no other electrical equipment nearby. But the pod is unable to transfer the same speed over (which a standard wifi extender can do well).