Menu
Lawlini1978
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin router drop outs. Google WiFi solution?

I had 100 Mbps contract with virgin and had drop out issues. So I switched to 200 in hopes of resolving issue. It didn't.

I have been using Google WiFi, still using virgin as the router (super hub 2) and for a time it worked quite well. But now normal (poor) service has resumed. Since certain devices will only be accepted on certain streams of internet, our devices are spread across three different internet streams (for want of a better description). Virgin's 2.5, 5.0 and Google's own. 

My question is this: would using the super hub as a modem and using the Google WiFi as the router resolve this problem? Or could this actually make things worse? Is there anyone who has had experience in this?

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin router drop outs. Google WiFi solution?

depends what you mean by "drop out issues".
what is dropping out? is it the actual internet connection? or just the wifi?
0 Kudos
Lawlini1978
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm getting a full signal on all devices and a big exclamation mark next to it on ceetace devices, bit not on others.

So I think it's a connectivity issue more than anything, to be honest with you. I don't know how to resolve it. 

I phoned virgin themselves. Who's "solution" was to get an upgrade (I was on 100 Mbps at the time).

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I think what chenks means is... are devices connected to the Router/Hub by ethernet cable also "dropping out" or is it just the ones on wifi.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Lawlini1978
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No devices are wired to the router apart from the Google WiFi. They are all solely connected through the internet, itself.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Lawlini1978 wrote:

No devices are wired to the router apart from the Google WiFi. They are all solely connected through the internet, itself.

that doesn't help answer the question though.
it's crucial to know if it's the actual internet connection dropping, or just WIFI.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I think what chenks means is - test it wired Smiley Happy

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Lawlini1978 wrote:

Just to be clear, ALL your devices are connected to the Hub, either by ethernet cables or by WiFi. They all get their internet broadband through the Hub.

In order to check whether Virgin are providing a service to your Hub it is necessary to check with a device wired to the Hub.  Can you do that? 

(crossed with jbrennand 🙂 )

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Put your SH2 into modem mode and check the speeds, you should be getting 200Mbps up, 12Mbps down.

Leave the SH2 in modem mode as the Google WiFi is designed to replace your router.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos