Menu
Highlighted
angelaenvia
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Virgin prefers new costumers than the old ones

Unbelievable how virgin media prefers the new costumers !

Paying £56.50 every month only for broadband ... online for new costumers £30 call them to see if they can go lower .. guess what they offer me £2 discount every month LOL

Need to search for a new provider ASAP after 4 years with virgin wow 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin prefers new costumers than the old ones

Hello

Have a look at this from Ofcom https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/fairer-prices-for-broadband-customers as changes are coming.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
angelaenvia
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Seen it but only in March 2020 until then £56.50 its allot ... 

Thank you for your help 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

Yeah the same when I upgraded my Broadband when I spoke to sales he said increase of five pounds, didn't agree when I said going to speak to the leaving team, he then offered a 50 pound credit on account, which basically meant I got the increase for only 10 pound for the year instead of 60.

Regards MIke

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
angelaenvia
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi
Worst with me when i spoke with the leaving team they said i can leave because they dont have nothing to offer me ...
So now i am searching another provider as virgin does not like to keep the old costumers ...#
Very disappointed
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@angelaenvia wrote:
So now i am searching another provider as virgin does not like to keep the old costumers ...#
Very disappointed

Another way of looking at it is....  You got your discount for 12 months upon joining. Now you are paying the full price that everyone else is paying for the same package (notwithstanding some "token"  loyalty discounts that some customers have negotiated).  Seems fair.
If you want a better price then you are right to go to another provider. After 12 months of introductory discount they will then increase your price to the same one that all other customers are paying. Seems fair.
Then, you can move to another supplier for another 12 months discount package and the cycle continues!

Its what the regulators originally intended to happen to increase competition in the market.   Although as the link showed - things may be about to change somewhat.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Super solver
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

VM operate the same "bait and switch" practices as other telcos, energy suppliers, insurers, breakdown & household service companies.  They all offer heavily discounted pricing to attract new customers.  They have also got wise to people asking for discounts.  If (as I suspect) they're like the large customer service companies that I've worked for, then the following principles will apply:

1) Discounts are offered to entice new customers only because no discounts means no new customers, and because there's the prospect of upselling on speed and cross selling other services like TV packages and mobile contracts.

2) Around half of all customers will accept the out of contract price when the introductory discount ends.  There's complicated modelling of customer attrition rates over time that are used by the pricing teams when designing introductory discounts, and the whole practice relies on a small number of customers who will stay with the company on an undiscounted offer for years.  Some leave immediately, some (like you and I) phone up and ask for a discount, with varying levels of success.

2) Existing customers are not all offered the same discount - complex modelling and behavioural analytics are used either at an account or a segment level that take account of how likely they think a customer is to leave, how much that customer pays and what services they take, along with location and demographic data.  I would expect that some customers will not under any circumstances be offered a discount, eg if an area has a big queue of people wanting to join, but not the capacity to accept them, or maybe if the customer is on a low margin product like 50 Mbps broadband only.

3) Even the maximum available discounts vary daily or weekly, depending on competitor marketing campaigns, customer loss/retention numbers

4) VM's first offer of a discount is rarely their best offer, but the retentions agents have rules for what discounts can be offered.  So phoning and complaining about price and hinting you might leave might get you a couple of quid off, a more convincing threat to leave might be four quid off, a threat to leave with a valid knowledge of somebody else's discount pricing might be six quid off.  Somebody who actually cancels will (unless they are on the "no discount" list) be subject to win-back efforts, and they'll get even better offers during their months notice period.  That gets you the best price, but if for one of the several reasons mentioned above they DON'T offer you a discount then you need to plan accordingly.  Consider that if you had broadband and phone, you gave notice but didn't have another supplier contracted, you would lose your landline number.

If price is crucially important (or even price stability) then see this post.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@angelaenvia wrote:

Seen it but only in March 2020 until then £56.50 its allot ... 

Thank you for your help 

This is OFCOM trying to "water down" a situation they themselves have encourged in order to stay in line with Government policy.

The current Government has always championed switching providers to be the "norm" not the exception, so OFCOM has until now turned a blind eye to providers offering customer poaching prices to new customers, but not existing ones, therefore incentivising switching & making their figures look good.

But one thing to take note of is that the current new customer prices are unsustainable when offered to existing customers, so expect new customer prices to increase if they are offered to everyone in future.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

cje85
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Only BT, Sky and TalkTalk have agreed to allow existing customers to recontract on new customer prices, so Virgin may well continue offering substantial discounts to new, but not existing, customers.

angelaenvia
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

True 

0 Kudos