Menu
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 11 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin media vpn

@paultechy wrote:
dont need to setup a full VPN server, any remote access software will work, since when you access the work it will becoming from your virginmedia IP.

remote access what though?
you're assuming there is another device in the home network work get remote access to.

this appears to be a single laptop taken away from home.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 12 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@rsubs wrote:

Yes sorry I mean laptop.

At the moment my work has white listed the public IP of my home network i.e. my current VM IP. 

So I am able to access all applications and programs fine from home. However when I am out the house I use my mobile data (EE hotspot) to connect my laptop to the internet. This is where the problem lies. Since my work has not white listed my mobile data IP I am unable to access the applications when outside my house.  I have asked my work to whitelist my mobile data but they are refusing to do this since they say the IPS are more dynamic and will keep changing. So I need some way even when I am out the house my laptop is using my VM public IP.

Hope that all makes sense.

IPv4s assigned to mobile phones aren't even dynamic, you just are not assigned an IP address. They utilise carrier grade NAT and the IP from that will even change frequently, sometimes as often as you change mobile mast.

You could set up a VPN server at home and then configure your mobile phone to connect to that, iOS will support L2TP/IPsec easily enough. You even have the option of buying a third party router with VPN server support baked in and using your Hub in modem mode.

0 Kudos
louis-m
Up to speed
Message 13 of 14
Flag for a moderator

ummmm...... and then when the VM IP changes? I know they are fairly static but you can bet your bottom dollar, the day you are relying on it for something will be the day the IP changes. Hence why people use static IP's for these kind of things.

Setting a VPN for dynamic IP's isn't too hard and it's a common thing to do. Various organisations eg emergency services, banks etc do this so it sounds as though your IT department is being a little over cautious.

But if they don't allow the above, then the option would be to use a vpn to your home using a dynamic DNS (free) service which will allow you to connect to your home even if the dynamic address changes. You could also ask your work to whitelist via FQDN rather than IP so that would take care of the home IP changing too with regards to your work. This assumes you would be using a router that supports this and you would be using a site to site VPN rather than a server/client setup.

Not exactly the best way to do things but hey ho, you gotta work with what you've got.

0 Kudos
rsubs
Joining in
Message 14 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi there 

Any tutorials or videos on how I could set this up ?

0 Kudos