Menu
rsubs
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Virgin media vpn

Hi all, 

I am a remote worker and my work has whitelisted my public IP for virgin media to allow me access to certain applications. 

I have an issue when I am outside my house I am unable to access any of my work applications since the IP is different e.g. when using my mobile data to hotspot. 

Is there any way I can access my VM public IP address regardless of whatever internet provider I am corrected to? I would have thought a VPN or similar may help achieve this but I am very new to all this stuff so would appreciate any help / guides.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin media vpn

no, of course you can't use your Virgin broadand IP when using other providers!
0 Kudos
rsubs
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Can't I set up some kind of VPN to access my home network though? thats what we used to do at my old job. I had a VPN programme which meant when I was on the VPN all the internet traffic was going though my work's external IP... they had provided the config we needed... So surely it must be possible?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

you could remote access your home pc/laptop and then use that to jump to your works network.. e.g. gotomyPC, Teamviewer, VNC connect..

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@rsubs wrote:
Can't I set up some kind of VPN to access my home network though? thats what we used to do at my old job. I had a VPN programme which meant when I was on the VPN all the internet traffic was going though my work's external IP... they had provided the config we needed... So surely it must be possible?

so you want to VPN in to your home network to then VPN back out to your work network?

0 Kudos
rsubs
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

My work doesn't have a vpn set up else I wouldnt face any issues...

the long and short of it is, I need my computer to think its using the my public IP even when I am outside my house.
0 Kudos
louis-m
Up to speed
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It's relatively simple actually. You would need a vpn client eg Cisco anywhere, shewd vpn etc and your workplace IT would have to configure this.

You would not be able to use IP whitelisting for what you are after. The vpn would have to be configured for any IP although this could be further secured with two factor authentication etc.

0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

by computer i assume you mean laptop?
so you have using your laptop away from your home using a dongle to connect to the internet? correct so far?
how are you connecting to your work applications whilst at home? if it's not a VPN i assume it's via a website or something similar?

the only way your laptop you have your public IP when out of the home is for you to VPN in to your home network. you'd need to be running a VPN server at home (the virgin hub won't do this).
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

dont need to setup a full VPN server, any remote access software will work, since when you access the work it will becoming from your virginmedia IP.

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
rsubs
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes sorry I mean laptop.

At the moment my work has white listed the public IP of my home network i.e. my current VM IP. 

So I am able to access all applications and programs fine from home. However when I am out the house I use my mobile data (EE hotspot) to connect my laptop to the internet. This is where the problem lies. Since my work has not white listed my mobile data IP I am unable to access the applications when outside my house.  I have asked my work to whitelist my mobile data but they are refusing to do this since they say the IPS are more dynamic and will keep changing. So I need some way even when I am out the house my laptop is using my VM public IP.

Hope that all makes sense.

0 Kudos