cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media connect app - Can't enable wifi hotspots

tuckova
Joining in

I'm a Virgin Mobile customer and I'm trying to enable hotspot access on my Pixel 4a via the Virgin Media connect app and it's failing every time I click on the "Get set for wifi hotspots" after a short period of time with "no server response" despite a strong wifi and 4g data connection as per the screenshots below.

account.jpg  connect.jpg  error.jpg 

I've followed all the advice I can find like:

• Confirming the hotspot account status and that it is retrieving all my other account details correctly
  • Checking for existing saved wifi networks and removing them (there aren't any as it's a new phone)
  • Confirmed that the app has the required permissions
  • Deleting the app cache/data and reinstalling the app
  • Tried activating at multiple time across various days in case it's an issue at the server end

Is there anything else I can try or does the application simply not work on android 11? (note: I've recently installed the app on an android 8 device with a different sim card and that worked fine).

160 REPLIES 160

It appears this issue is a common issue that many of us are currently having. 

The solutions have been bare minimum through phone and by the looks of it online. 

I think it's well established, the fault is in fact virgin media's network, not the clients trying to use and access it. 

• There is a manual way to login, outlined in another forum by another customer saying you can use your email and password to login manually without the connect app, it doesn't however give you the domain which is required to login. 

Screenshot_20220418-170750.jpg

Virgin media's IT team shouldn't take pride in the fact virgin media customers with no training are smarter and more helpful than you.

It's 2022, the issue has been left for that long, the amount of users it's beginning to affect is mounting. 

Yea Virgin media have made it it very clear that they are not ever going to address this issue by demonstrating there pure lack of care and respect (and common decency)for there customers with newer android smartphones. They have not shown any interest for fixing this is many years and let's be honest it hasn't really gained much traction. I guess most virgin customers are iPhone users or simply they get enough data from their mobile service provider that they don't care or notice or need to connect to ask these virgin hotspots dotted every where that is enabled by default and I'm not even sure how to disable it. 

How do I stop broadcasting this virgin media ssid from my router? I know I am as is always there when my router is up and gone when I turn it off. I don't see why I should donate a hotspot if I can't even use them. And I'm a virgin mobile contract customer too so technically I'm double entitled to use. I'm turning it off..

🖕  virgin media you suck. Really really suck. 🖕

Lol. This is laughable. This is not a work around. If this worked I would cancel my contract with your dumbasses and just leech the neighbours hotspot. This is the very reason you're app doesn't work. Your so far behind in wireless networking technologies than every single one of your competitors. And every single other app out there that also require this functionality have fixed it before the android 11 os was publically available. 

Here's a bit of a hot tip for you to pass onto your android dev team. Go check out the home page at android dot com and you know. Do a bit of work. Research and learn the new security policies in place which is causing this problem. 

1 line of code literally fixes this problem. It's shocking how pathetic this makes you look in front of your competitors who are not only laughing at you they are pointing at you and really lol ing

Just out of curiosity has everyone having this problem had a prompt like this? Not from the connect app but the device itself? 

Screenshot_20220419-230450__01.jpg

Hi Networking Pro 🙂

That's a standard pop-up when your phone detects a 'high-quality public wifi service'. On stock Android you can turn the feature off at Settings | Network & Internet | Internet | Network Preferences | Notify for Public Networks. In this case, it's clearly failed as VM is not providing us with a high-quality public wifi service...

Hi dbrjrievcdhdkeb 🙂

I appreciate your response but I already know what exactly this is, I was asking if anyone  having this issue has had this pop up yet. 

Hi NetworkingPro - coud you link us to the forum with the workaround? itd be handy for the time being. Also any luck with the domain name thats needed?

HandyHat
On our wavelength

@marty3 - You can disable broadcasting the Virgin Media network by signing in to My Virgin Media online, and then going to Menu, My Profile, and hitting "Opt Out" under My Services

@NetworkingPro - No, I have never seen that notification. I believe that is generated by the app telling Android, cause it does mention "Virgin Media Connect", but the look of that notification seems like Android 7 or 8 which makes sense as it only stopped working with Android 11

Jarric
On our wavelength

@HandyHat thanks for the tip on opting out. I have now opted out, and I would encourage everyone else in this thread to do the same until Virgin fix the problem. I'm not prepared to participate in a service which Virgin refuse to provide to half of its members.

edisg
Joining in

Hello, is there any update from Virgin Media on this issue?