cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media connect app - Can't enable wifi hotspots

tuckova
Joining in

I'm a Virgin Mobile customer and I'm trying to enable hotspot access on my Pixel 4a via the Virgin Media connect app and it's failing every time I click on the "Get set for wifi hotspots" after a short period of time with "no server response" despite a strong wifi and 4g data connection as per the screenshots below.

account.jpg  connect.jpg  error.jpg 

I've followed all the advice I can find like:

• Confirming the hotspot account status and that it is retrieving all my other account details correctly
  • Checking for existing saved wifi networks and removing them (there aren't any as it's a new phone)
  • Confirmed that the app has the required permissions
  • Deleting the app cache/data and reinstalling the app
  • Tried activating at multiple time across various days in case it's an issue at the server end

Is there anything else I can try or does the application simply not work on android 11? (note: I've recently installed the app on an android 8 device with a different sim card and that worked fine).

160 REPLIES 160

Utterly pointless response from Rob.

Android 11 was released Sept 2020 - that was 17 months ago and you've offered not solution in this time.

Hello Robert_P,

We are aware that the Connect app is unable to configure wifi on Android. We understand that apps are no longer able to configure wifi on Android since the release of Android 11. If that is the case, your developers will never be able to get the Connect app to configure the wifi on Android.

Please can you provide us with the manual settings required so that we can configure wifi on our Android phones to connect to VM hotspots? This is the solution provided by your competitors.

If VM is unable to do that for some reason, please can you confirm that VM's website will be updated to show that VM does not provide hotspot to Android 11 and above?

If you do not confirm that within two weeks of this post, I will take that as a formal admission that VM no longer provides this service even though it continues to advertise it, and I will report that admission to the appropriate regulatory authorities and consult legal counsel. 

Regards,

Duncan

HandyHat
On our wavelength

Let's not forget that the first Android 11 Dev previews came out February 2020 - so Virgin have had nearly 24 months to identify and fix this issue, something all of their competitors have managed to do...

Disappointing, as usual, from VM. Can't be bothered to answer a simple question honestly. Oh well, time to write that letter.

Hi @dbrjrievcdhdkeb, thanks for your posts and apologies for the delayed response.

Unfortunately, if you're unable to activate the wifi hotspot on your account due to the issues with Android 11 and 12 of the app, you'll be unable to connect to the hotspots when they show as "Virgin Media" in the appropriate setting.

Please accept my apologies for any inconveniece this may cause, but please be assured this is something we're aware of and looking into.

Many thanks

Tom_W

HandyHat
On our wavelength

Thank you, Tom, for once again ignoring what we are saying and adding absolutely nothing.

Hi HandyHat, 

We're truly sorry you feel this way. 

I've been working with the team on this and we don't have any further information to offer other than the fact we're aware of this issue and hope to have a fix soon.

We have been given a potential work around from a user which has helped a few people but we've been unable to replicate it's success. It may be something you can try to see if this does help:

Switch on your WiFi when you're in range of a VM WiFi hotspot - you'll see Virgin Media appear on your list of available WiFi, this is in Settings > Connections > WiFi > Tap on Virgin Media from the list > Change the EAP method to AKA and tap Connect.

As mentioned before, we've not been able to replicate this so chances are it won't work but on the off chance it does, it may help until an update is available. 

Apologies once again. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Kath_F

What's wrong with this sentence:

"I've been working with the team on this and we don't have any further information to offer other than the fact we're aware of this issue and hope to have a fix soon."

If you have in fact been working with them they would have conveyed what the issue is.

Offering zero additional information in the last 10+ months other that "we're aware of the issue" is appalling customer service.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @petenice,

I am sorry you feel this way, we can only give out what we have been told. I understand that you are not happy with the information on the last response. But there is a limit to what we can share with this specific issue. 

Regards,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

@dbrjrievcdhdkeb Did you get anywhere through the regulatory authorities? I am happy to also file a complaint if necessary.