cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media connect app - Can't enable wifi hotspots

tuckova
Joining in

I'm a Virgin Mobile customer and I'm trying to enable hotspot access on my Pixel 4a via the Virgin Media connect app and it's failing every time I click on the "Get set for wifi hotspots" after a short period of time with "no server response" despite a strong wifi and 4g data connection as per the screenshots below.

account.jpg  connect.jpg  error.jpg 

I've followed all the advice I can find like:

• Confirming the hotspot account status and that it is retrieving all my other account details correctly
  • Checking for existing saved wifi networks and removing them (there aren't any as it's a new phone)
  • Confirmed that the app has the required permissions
  • Deleting the app cache/data and reinstalling the app
  • Tried activating at multiple time across various days in case it's an issue at the server end

Is there anything else I can try or does the application simply not work on android 11? (note: I've recently installed the app on an android 8 device with a different sim card and that worked fine).

160 REPLIES 160

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @marty3,

Welcome back to our Community Forum! Thank you for your post, and I'm sorry to understand that you're having some issues with the Connect App

Can you please let us know what steps you've already taken to troubleshoot the app and to see if you can resolve the issue?

Can you made sure that both the app and your device are up to date on the most recent software?

Have you tried to delete then re-install the app to see if there are any changes?

Are you having this issue on any other devices?

Please let us know so we can look into this further.

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Yea I've tried everything. Even have a new phone now. I had the same problem on my Samsung note 20. Now I have brand new sim free galaxy s21. The very first app I installed was virgin connect hoping that now I be able to use the elusive virgin media hotspots. But same problem. 

It sets up just fine saying successful you are now all set up to use the virgin media hotspots. Before the android 11 update at this point the app would ask me if I would allow the app to control my WiFi and connect automatically to the virgin hotspots. But since android update this don't happen. Nothing happens. 

And I even try to manually connect to a virgin media hotspot by tapping it in WiFi but it asks for user name and password. I've tried my virgin media account name and password and my virgin mobile account name and password neither work.

I tried the AKA connection type change. That don't work either. 

EVERY THING IS THE VERY LATEST VERSIONS.  Like I said I've tried every thing. Uninstall and reinstall. Are you gonna make me type in the actual versions? I will of you need me to. My phone and all apps are very latest versions. 

Please help me. This is seriously effecting my work. If I can't get it fixed this week I'm going to sky or bt as they offer the same service only difference is there actually works. I see the hotspots all over the place to but I can't be f@#$%d to switch it is a hassle. I would rather you just fix my account on your end or get your it developers to sort this out. 

HandyHat
On our wavelength

Good luck getting them to fix it. It's been 8 months since the issue was raised. It's been 3 months since they raised a ticket. There's most likely still no update on it (I wouldn't be surprised if they've managed to close it again). Considering cancelling if this continues to go on - I've been patient but it feels like they just don't care.

Hi @HandyHat and @marty3

Please can you send me a private message with the below information and we can get this looked into further for you by our support team

Device - make and model 

Connect app version

Ios/Android version

confirm WiFi connectivity

Any error messages that you may be getting ? 

Does this happen with numerous hotspots or same or particular one? Please be specific as possible with the location of the ​hotspot a street location or if it is on the London underground , if so which station.

What they have you tried so far to resolve the issues such as rebooting device, disconnect all networks and rejoined, also uninstalling and re-installing the app

Regards,

Steven_L

Also if anybody else is having this issue, please send the above information over to me by a private message and we can get this looked into further for you.

Please also add your full name and account number to the private message.

Regards,

Steven_L

Sorry @HandyHat and @marty3 and for anyone else having the issue. We have one more question that we would need to have answered to log this is

Are you a Media and Mobile customer of ours?

Regards,

Steven_L

HandyHat
On our wavelength

Done, despite a ticket already having been opened earlier in this thread and @Kath_F saying that she will come to me with updates.

Hi HandyHat, 

Apologies for the delay in coming back to you directly. I was off on annual leave and your thread got closed so I have been waiting for you to reply to your thread so it would come back to me. 

There has been no update on the IT ticket I raised for you as of yet however the team have advised that there is an issue with Android 11 and we’re working to resolve it in a future release of the app which is expected in the coming months.

I know this is not the news you would be hoping for however hopefully the new release won't be much longer and will work for you on your Android 11 device. 

Apologies once again. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

If anybody else is having this issue, please send the above information over to me by a private message and we can get this looked into further for you.

Please can you send me a private message with the below information and we can get this looked into further for you by our support team

Full name and account number

Are you a media and mobile customer of ours?

Device - make and model 

Connect app version

Ios/Android version

confirm WiFi connectivity

Any error messages that you may be getting ? 

Does this happen with numerous hotspots or same or particular one? Please be specific as possible with the location of the ​hotspot a street location or if it is on the London underground , if so which station.

What they have you tried so far to resolve the issues such as rebooting device, disconnect all networks and rejoined, also uninstalling and re-installing the app

Please provide a screenshot of the "App Settings > App Information > About" screen, our support team have asked for a screenshot of this to enable them to do full checks on the problems that you're having.

Regards,

Steven_L

HandyHat
On our wavelength

Ah no problem. I hope you had a good holiday!

While I'm happy to hear that they have acknowledged the issue with Android 11, I'm disappointed to hear that their timeline is only "in the coming months". It's been 16 months since the first dev preview of Android 11 - at this rate, I'll be on 12 before 11 is fixed...