cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin and a WiFi doorbell

dsr1993
On our wavelength

I have a EZVIZ video ring door bell and it keeps dropping the WiFi connection.  I have put in an extender which is right next to the door and when setting up it connects fine.  I have restarted the hub as download spread was non existent moved it off channel one to channel 7. But after 6 or 7 hours the WiFi drops off.  Nothing else in the house has an issue connecting to the WiFi, I have had a replacement doorbell sent out and it still isn’t working, does virgin have a fire wall that would be doing this, surely it can’t be this hard to connect a door bell,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do not put a 2.4Ghz channel on anything but 1, 6  or 11.  The other channels will only overlap and cause wifi issues.  

Also is your extender using the same SSID as the Hub, or is it different?

The firewall on the Hub is irrelevant in this instance. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do not put a 2.4Ghz channel on anything but 1, 6  or 11.  The other channels will only overlap and cause wifi issues.  

Also is your extender using the same SSID as the Hub, or is it different?

The firewall on the Hub is irrelevant in this instance. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

dsr1993
On our wavelength

I purchased the extender and it was installed by the person that fitted the door bell and he told me I shouldn’t be on channel one and put me on channel 7.

this doorbell doesn’t seem to want to connect to my hub and the extender won’t connect to the hub either,  nothing else in the house has a problem connecting to the hub,  it wouldn’t even connect when it was on channel one

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A wifi extender needs to be within range of the Hub, so it can "extend" the wifi signal.  Do you know what the SSID of the extender is etc. etc. Some details may help.  Until the Hub and extender are talking this will never work.

dsr1993
On our wavelength

The extender is within range of the hub and has been paired successfully but keeps dropping off, what is a SSID

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The SSID is basically the WiFi name. So I assume your Hub will be broadcasting a WiFi name of VMxxxxx.  So is the extender using this same name or is it different? What is the make and model of the extender?

dsr1993
On our wavelength

So yes the WiFi name is VM******* on the hub, the extender is a tp link N300 2x2 MIMO  300 mbps 2.4 and the name of that is the same as the hub but with _EXT at the end of it

dsr1993
On our wavelength

In the process of sorting this with the guy who fitted the door bell the WiFi hub is no longer working at all now

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

As advised above, the WiFi should be set to either channel 1, 6 or 11.

Here's what to do:

Get one of the free WiFi scanning apps for your phone.  Stand at the door and check those three channels. Find the one that has least signal strength from other WiFi sources.  Set your router to that channel.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

dsr1993
On our wavelength

Thank you the router keeps resetting the channel, we set it to 7 yesterday and when we log into today it’s back on one and won’t work with the door bell or the extender. It keeps going to automatic and reselecting channel one and won’t allow manual changes