cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Router - Can I prioritise a device to get a connection?

djurornic
Dialled in

Hey Folks, 

I'm noticing my work laptop is dropping wifi connection an awful lot while all other devices in the household are staying connected reliably. 

I'm sure that with a work laptop there are other things happening which might cause it to drop, e.g. VPN connections etc - but to eliminate the avoidance of any doubt, is there a setting in the router web UI where I could ensure that my work laptop gets a priority connection?

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks, 

Djuro

9 REPLIES 9

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

Best way is to connect the laptop to the Hub with an ethernet cable.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Thanks Mike - an ethernet cable isn't an option given the proximity of the router and where I am normally located, although I could look into getting a home powerline extender kit thingy. IMHO I think I have a hardware issue as I'm also using a CalDigit dock to hook up to my monitors etc....the issue of connectivity seems to coincide with connectivity problems. My laptop shows that my home wifi is connected and connected to the outside world. .......

The only other real option after ethernet connections is more powerful Wi-Fi broadcasting equipment such as a decent router or a mesh system and put the VM Hub into Modem Mode.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

paultechy
Alessandro Volta
to answer your original question, no the hub has only basic features, and off the top of my head dont know if any hardware/configuration that will say what order it processing the connection.. you can get a 3rd party router with QoS (Quality of Service) and give laptop more bandwidth etc.

I would also check that all drivers (especially the WiFi drivers) are up to date on the laptop - check with the manufacturer or the chipset vendor's website.

That can however be difficult if the laptop has a corporate build on it  You can try raising any issues with your IT dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

As the hub is a basic device there is no way of doing any QOS on it the only way around that would be to use the hub in modem mode and purchase a router that has that facility.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Out of the box idea and the "free" point of view.

Set every device to connect to 2.4ghz wifi
Set your work laptop to connect to 5ghz wifi

Ill recommend this third party router if your looking for QoS.
I use this to handle around 50 devices in the house.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC86U-AiProtection-Accelerator-Aggregation/dp/B075WFL15D

upgraded version of the above getting more pricey but can handle more devices and the later AX devices.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CBCR6BB

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

Gig1 | Hub 5 Modem Mode | Asus RT-AX86U | Asus RT-AC86U

How do I change the VM Hub to “Modem mode”

and which port do I plug my router/mesh system into?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Tegen wrote:

and which port do I plug my router/mesh system into?

Bottom port.

@Tegen wrote:

How do I change the VM Hub to “Modem mode”

Hub Modem Mode | Virgin Media

---------------------------------------------------------------