cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Mesh Throttling (213mb, or so they say)

AS6
Dialled in

Hi All,

Just want to tell you all my experience with the Virgin Media mesh wifi system. It started off "settling in" as it is supposed to, interfering with some devices such as my wireless printer, then it hit around 237mb/20mb and I was content with this, but then after half an hour so it dropped to 100 and then the next day I am back where I started without it receiving 28mb/9mb

I haven't really done anything wrong with the device, it just suspiciously has reduced bandwidth and I am back where I was without it.

What do i need to do to get the promised speed? Because each time they say one thing and that thing fails, then we move on and it fails again and then they try to charge u for 1 month after saying "1 month free trial" and I have to pay for an add-on that let's face it i shouldnt have to have/pay for in the 1st place.

What a joke.

8 REPLIES 8

Sonny333
On our wavelength

Honestly the only way to get anywhere remotely close to your advertised speeds while on Virgin Media is installing a third party router. The routers provided by Virgin are cheap hunks of plastic and will not get you anywhere near the advertised speeds. 

I was getting around 250-300 (whilst I was paying for a gig), after swapping over to a third party router I was able to get 750-800, not the max advertised speeds but far better than what I had before.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM advertised speeds are only for Ethernet cable connected devices, they have never and never will guarantee WiFi speeds. WiFi is extremely susceptible to external influences that are out of VM’s control. They supply a low cost basic WiFi system and if you want better WiFi it’s best to buy your own equipment. I have never, since I started with Cable London, never ever used the hub in router mode, I have always used my own equipment. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sonny333 wrote:

I was getting around 250-300 (whilst I was paying for a gig), after swapping over to a third party router I was able to get 750-800, not the max advertised speeds but far better than what I had before.

You will only ever get full wifi speeds over Wifi6 - VM Hubs are not Wifi6 devices - was the third party router you got a Wifi6 one?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @AS6,

Thanks for your private messages - we are sorry to understand that you are still having some issues at home with your Wi-Fi.

Please do be advised that we do not traffic manage or throttle our broadband connection. You mention that only your Wi-Fi seems impacted - please do note that Wi-Fi is not guaranteed. Wi-Fi can be affected by so many variables that we have no control over. A few of these can be things such as; wall thickness, room size, household appliances, other wireless devices in the home, signals from other wireless networks local to you, wall insulation etc.

If you are getting your speeds you subscribe to via a wired connection then that is great - we will of course do our best to assist with any Wi-Fi issues you may have but as mentioned, this is not guaranteed.

Keep us posted with how you get on with your own mesh system - I'm sure our users will be happy to advise further on what system may be best for your personal set up

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Maybe its time for you to get a wireless router with 1Gb ports that can't slow you down and use hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks I will look into it.

Alright thanks will look into it.

Hey,

Didn't get a notification for this! I do have a WiFi 6 External Router. It's amazing 🙂