cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media with Google Nest Wifi

Hiyakker
On our wavelength

I'm desperately trying to find a solution to the poor wifi coverage I get from the superhub. If I put my laptop next to the router I get 150Mbps (as opposed to >200 wired). if I move 2 rooms away to where I have to work from I get 10-20Mbps and can't even do a zoom call.  

I bought Google Nest Wifi (mesh) to solve this.  It does a great job of coverage, but when the Nest wifi is connected to VM I get constant disconnects/restarts (seems to sometimes be that the nest system loses internet connection, other times the superhub does).  I know the nest kit is fine, as I used it in on a non virgin set-up elsewhere, but i can't get VM and Nest to play nicely. (Google have put the blame squarely on VM btw)

Much as I disagree with paying subscription for hardware, I was hoping to get VM wifi pods to resolve this as this is causing serious issues with my job. Unfortunately you now can't order them for some reason.  

Has anyone had (and hopefully resolved) similar issues with VM and Google wifi / Nest wifi ?  Unfortunately I cannot work closer to the router and I cannot run a cable. I really need to get this resolved as it is causing problems with my job, but don't know what to do next.  

I have done several factory resets of both sets of equipment, am using modem mode and have tried with all other devices disconnected.  I feel like VM just doesn't work with Google/nest wifi but can see that others have used it. 

I'm currently back to just trying to use the built in wifi. Spent my entire 1:1 quarterly review with our CEO apologising and asking them to repeat stuff. 

I'd happily sign up for wifi pods at this point just to break the deadlock of Google blaming virgin blaming google. 

19 REPLIES 19

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Hiyakker

Thanks for your post 🙂 

I'm very sorry to hear you're experiencing poor Wi-Fi coverage, I appreciate this is frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

To confirm, have you tried ordering the Wi-Fi pods via our Connect App? If not, I'd advise doing so here. The app helps search for blackspots that could be causing the Wi-Fi issues, if blackspots are found, you should be able to order the Wi-Fi pods. 

If you're having issues with this, please let us know and we'll happily get this ordered for you. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hiyakker
On our wavelength

Hi  @sofia_b  . Thanks for the reply. That sounds promising. Oddly, that link only has the ios app listed. That seems very odd. I have found an app with the same name on the play store though. I will try that 

Hiyakker
On our wavelength

Update for   @Sofia_B

Using the app I have scanned in the main rooms we use. Signal actually seems pretty good at the moment compared to usual (it is always better in the mornings), but I did get "poor" results from the app in several rooms. One room had no signal at all (phone switched to 4g) yet it still came up as poor and rooms with just one bar of signal and appalling speeds are rated as "good" according to the app. 

Signal is always worse in the afternoon (it always drops out completely for a couple of minutes around 3pm then is bad thereafter). Is it worth me repeating then?  I didn't see any option to order wifi pod even when my phone switched to 4g. 

I'm afraid to say that Sofia seems to have concentrated on the wifi aspects, and no matter what you do with wifi that won't resolve the ratty connection shown in the BQM, nor the apparent erratic connectivity issues indicated by the network log. 

Hiyakker
On our wavelength

i marked your answer as helpful (because it is) and apparently this marks the thread as solved. That's annoying! 

Edit: fixed it! Kudos instead

Don't worry, the odd way "helpful answer" works is understood, and having a "solved" marker doesn't seem to make the staff pay any more or less attention, but if you unmark it as solved that's fine by me.

Now, if I can only get kudos recognised as crypto-currency I'll be well setup.

Hiyakker
On our wavelength

I was hoping to have reply by now, but here is some more information whilst I wait:

This is a speed test from wifi today whilst experiencing one of the many frequent problems we have.  after this the wifi disconnected and was marginally better for a while (19Mbps).  This is a constant occurrence. I tried to run the virgin app to rescan the room when this was happening, but it just hung trying to connect to the hub (yes... my connection was too bad to run the app that diagnosis connection issues) 

vm connection.png

 Here is the Broadband quality report (so connection, not just wifi) for today so far.  That spike on the right coincides with the issue above

My Profile   thinkbroadband.png

 Here is yesterday's. As you can see, those spikes are fairly constant

My Profile   thinkbroadband.png

Few interesting log entries already today - although nothing coinciding with that last issue:

Network Log

Time Priority Description

21/10/2021 09:47:24noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
21/10/2021 01:42:9criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
21/10/2021 01:39:43Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
21/10/2021 01:39:43criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
21/10/2021 00:49:43Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
21/10/2021 00:49:43criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
21/10/2021 00:43:42Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
21/10/2021 00:43:42criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
21/10/2021 00:43:41Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Thanks for your reply and updates, Hiyakker,

I've sent you a private message to confirm your account details and have a closer look at your connection.

Cheers,

Corey C

Hiyakker
On our wavelength

Great, thanks for the reply. I'll reply to that pm now

Hiyakker
On our wavelength

Hey Corey, are you still watching this thread?

We had the engineer out. They swapped our hub and moved the TiVo unit to WiFi. 

Unfortunately the problem is worse than ever now. The hub is constantly disconnecting different devices. My phone has disconnected from wifi over a dozen times today. Similar for my laptop. The families devices are doing the same. This is happening even when sat next to the hub. 

The only device I have not seen disconnected is the TiVo. 

We really can't continue like this. The service is unusable. I'm basically now forced to use 4g all day for work. 

Help!