cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media's mesh system for M600

Dasco
On our wavelength

I have the standard wifi extenders that you could get from Virgin for ages but they have never really worked very well.
When I had my 360 box and two 360 minis fitted last year I asked the engineer about fitting a mesh system as the extenders just don't work reliably he said to wait till now and phone and ask for the mesh system.
I am on the Ultimate Oomph bundle and have been since it came out.

My wife is a teacher and is now teaching via live video link to her class in their homes and with both my kids using the live video teaching from their schools the wifi just can't handle it, which is not great for my kids but is terrible for my wife as she is trying to teach 35 kids at home everyday.
So i've tried to call Virgin today to try get the pods sent out to me but I just get no lines available, is there anyway one of Virgin Media staff can contact me so I can get these ordered and hopefully fix the wifi or at least make it more stable.
Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dasco
On our wavelength

I thought I would come back and update you all after installing the Asus ZenWiFi AX Whole-Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System (XT8) 2Pack. 
If you're not splitting the 2.4G and 5G signals its really easy, If splitting them its a little harder but not much. Overall its easy really, just give the units time to finish start up and to settle. I have a total of 27 devices connected on wifi and now have no holdups or slow downs. I am getting over 500 Mbps on 5G signal and over 300 on 2.4G signal at 
furthest point in the house.
Just been down the bottom of the garden and got over 300Mbps on the 5G and over 80Mbps on 2.4G which must be nearly 30 meters from the new router, but I think i'm going to move the node upstairs closer to rear of the house so signal should increase a little more.
I know this kit is expensive but it works and its wifi6 so should be good for few years yet.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

50 REPLIES 50

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Faster to get Tri-band mesh with hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Dasco
On our wavelength

I've looked into a mesh systems but would rather try the free upgrade from Virgin before I go out and spend my money.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Their pods are worth trying but only if they are free - and that is to 1GB or Ultimate Oomph customers only. Otherwise they are £5/month and then getting our own Mesh makes more fiscal sense.

Oh and they are currently out of stock and not being supplied for a few weeks (according to reports here)

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Dasco
On our wavelength
I'm on Ultimate Oomph so would be free to me if they weren't i'd of got my own mesh system. Why am I not surprised they are out of stock. Looks like i'm going to be running cat7 cables again to sort it for now.

And when they are in stock, don't be surprised when they let you down performance wise

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I am in agreement with a triple band mesh kit over the extra sockets Virgin would supply you.

But you do have a valid point that you are paying a lot of money for the top package and then need to spend £200+ on a triple band mesh kit. But sadly the default Virgin equipment is not built for the speed they sell to customers.

----------------------------------------------------------
M125 Volt powered by TP-Link Archer AX55

@Dasco wrote:
I'm on Ultimate Oomph so would be free to me if they weren't i'd of got my own mesh system. Why am I not surprised they are out of stock. Looks like i'm going to be running cat7 cables again to sort it for now.

I'm on ultimate oomph gig1 with hub4 and get a black spot in my daughters room. I phoned and actually managed to speak with someone in Customer service about a week ago  asking for the new wifi mesh pods as they are free. I was advised there is no stock of boosters or mesh pods and told to phone on 15th February as stock will be back in for both then 

Somehow he didnt sound convincing in his answer and it took him 20 minutes on silence to come back and tell me that. 

So I will persist and phone on 15th Feb and see what happens.

I asked for boosters along time ago but as they couldn't prove the black spot as VM connect app doesnt work with hub4 I never got the boosters.

@VM forum team can you please confirm availability or expected due date into stock of mesh wifi pods. Would be much appreciated.

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Vip Volt Gig1 with Sky Cinema and Sports UHD
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile

@sayekm wrote:

I am in agreement with a triple band mesh kit over the extra sockets Virgin would supply you.

But you do have a valid point that you are paying a lot of money for the top package and then need to spend £200+ on a triple band mesh kit. But sadly the default Virgin equipment is not built for the speed they sell to customers.

Oh and I use cat7 for my AV equipment and PS4 as they are within 2m of the hub4

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Vip Volt Gig1 with Sky Cinema and Sports UHD
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile

Most home Wi-Fi issues can be resolved with a decent third-party router. Most of the great preforming ones will have external antennas and decent specs to be able to cope with serving your bandwidth to multiple devices with ease.

Personally, I wouldn't bolt anything onto a Super Hub and expect much in the way of performance gains. If you need to rely on your broadband for more than web surfing and the odd stream, then a decent router is the way to go in the long-run and may mean you don't need any additional access points or mesh nodes for a simpler solution.

For example, I've been using the Asus AC86U for a few years now (Merlin firmware) and it deals with multiple devices streaming video and music, online gaming, and working from home (lots of Teams and Zoom video calls/meetings) simultaneously daily across two floors without a problem, despite it not being placed in the optimal position. I even get our max 200 Mbps down speed on the 5 GHz network in our environment.

I still had my old AC68U, that the 86U replaced, collecting dust in its box, so just to make use of it I added it as a mesh node in the first 2020 lockdown. Overkill for our setup really, but hasn't had any negative effects on our home network, so left it active upstairs.
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node