cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media is rubbish !!!!!

juliepierce3
On our wavelength

Anyone else think Virgin media is rubbish? I will never ever use them again. The staff are lovely, however, they are tied down by stupid systems/ checks and tests. I have been on the phone for hours due to my Hub 3’s lack of Wi-fi capability - what is the point in having broadband these days if you can’t use wi Fi in more than one room and on multiple devices. Can’t even get the extender they eventually sent me to work Wi Fi keeps looking for networks. Totally frustrating - they ought to be stripped of their licence.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@juliepierce3 wrote:

Then I will be writing to the regulator to update the regulations to keep up with technology.
After many hours on the phone to Virgin media - I have found out the truth. Virgin wi- Fi is rubbish on their hubs … people need to know it. BT are guaranteeing Wi-fi in every room, I will be going with them. 

They do - for an extra £10 per month with their Wifi discs.

Virgin do not need to “keep up with technologies”.

Name one ISP that currently offers a Wifi6 AX compatible hub that is now “current technology” in the world of Wifi.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

@juliepierce3 wrote:

Anyone else think Virgin media is rubbish? I will never ever use them again. The staff are lovely, however, they are tied down by stupid systems/ checks and tests. I have been on the phone for hours due to my Hub 3’s lack of Wi-fi capability - what is the point in having broadband these days if you can’t use wi Fi in more than one room and on multiple devices. Can’t even get the extender they eventually sent me to work Wi Fi keeps looking for networks. Totally frustrating - they ought to be stripped of their licence.

They are a cable provider. If a wired connection works then their meeting the obligation as a “licensed” telco. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I get excellent service from VM. I have never used their hubs in router mode and have always used my own equipment.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Then I will be writing to the regulator to update the regulations to keep up with technology.
After many hours on the phone to Virgin media - I have found out the truth. Virgin wi- Fi is rubbish on their hubs … people need to know it. BT are guaranteeing Wi-fi in every room, I will be going with them. 

@juliepierce3 wrote:

They do - for an extra £10 per month with their Wifi discs.

Virgin do not need to “keep up with technologies”.

Name one ISP that currently offers a Wifi6 AX compatible hub that is now “current technology” in the world of Wifi.

It is the regulator that needs to keep the regulations up to date. Everybody I know uses lots of wi Fi  devices these days e.g Ring/ Hive/ phones / tablets - they are designed to work on wi Fi. There should be something where isp’s have to provide a certain level of Wi-fi …. 

@juliepierce3 wrote:

It is the regulator that needs to keep the regulations up to date. Everybody I know uses lots of wi Fi  devices these days e.g Ring/ Hive/ phones / tablets - they are designed to work on wi Fi. There should be something where isp’s have to provide a certain level of Wi-fi …. 

And they do. But there is no standard or regulations for Wifi since every property, build, construction, environment, noise is different house to house.

Is it fair to say that Wifi should work the same in a two bedroom bungalow in Cornwall in the middle of nowhere with no neighbours as it would on a 5/6/7 bedroom house in Kensington in a built up area?

I have no idea whether it is fair or not. My study is approx 20m direct from my lounge - the doors are open with no obstructions … and the wi Fi drops in and out constantly. Also why would virgin connect virgin tv (in the lounge) via Wi-fi rather than Ethernet if they know the Hub3 does not have the wi Fi range …

@juliepierce3 wrote:

I have no idea whether it is fair or not. My study is approx 20m direct from my lounge - the doors are open with no obstructions … and the wi Fi drops in and out constantly. Also why would virgin connect virgin tv (in the lounge) via Wi-fi rather than Ethernet if they know the Hub3 does not have the wi Fi range …

Then you can use an Ethernet cable. They don’t provide that. They give you the connection and you provide the means of connectivity. The same with all other ISP’s.

Open doors or not - you’re looking at physical obstructions. There’s more to it than what you can actually see. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@juliepierce3 wrote:

if they know the Hub3 does not have the wi Fi range …

You are missing a very important point.  The cheap Hubs work just fine for the vast majority of their ~5m users - my mate around the corner believes its the best wifi router on the planet !  There are very few complaints relative to customers so there is no pressure from the mighty VM Marketing Department to lobby their masters at Liberty Global for a better (more expensive!) product for them to supply.   The VM solution is to supply boosters and now replaced with "Pods" - to customers with wifi problems.  And at a price of £5/mo 1/2 the price which BT supply their discs for  - £10/month for them - and set of discs can be bought for ~£100 on Amazon - you do the maths.  Also the BT guarantee" states - "if they dont work we will give you your money back" - some guarantee eh.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.