cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media Superhub 3 unresponsive following Power Outage

broadband_trex
On our wavelength

Hi,

We had a power outage the other night (30/01/2022) but after a few minutes everything came back online, except internet.

I've got my VM Superhub 3 in modem mode as I use my own equipment. I assumed it was my own router so rebooted it, nope still no internet. I tried to ping the router and the VM superhub, router was back but superhub did not respond.

In the end I had to factory reset the VM superhub but even that was bumpy, the superhub came back and (with one PC connected to it via ethernet) it prompted with that big red circle page stating that there was something wrong with my internet, I pressed it but even that crashed and showed an error message saying the problem was on the VM side. I can't recall what I did next, I either just refreshed or power cycled the VM Superhub 3 but it was more plain sailing. I was able to put the Superhub in modem mode and all was ok.

Upon further there is an unusual entry on the Super mentioning it was unable to login (is that on the WAN side?). 

I have had problems with intermittent BB last year (issues with the power levels ranges solved by an engineer fitting filters all tivo and the Superhub) and I would like to point out that we had and are still having errors appear on the Superhub "No Ranging Response received" and "DHCP RENEW WARNING"

Details follow:

Network Log

30/01/2022 02:37:47noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

30/01/2022 02:35:44Warning!LAN login FAILED : Incorrect Username / Password / ConnectionType;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;3

30/01/2022 02:34:24noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See Andrew-G's helpful explanation of Log messages in the Speed forum...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Hub-status-data-understanding-network-log-messages/td-p/4...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

broadband_trex
On our wavelength
Lol just noticed that it says LAN login, that was me, so ignore that bit but I would like to know if anyone else has experienced the above and also whether I can ignore the RANGE RESPONSE and DHCP RENEW WARNING error messages (Broadband seems ok much better than last year).

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See Andrew-G's helpful explanation of Log messages in the Speed forum...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Hub-status-data-understanding-network-log-messages/td-p/4...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you that's useful (although reading through it doesn't seem to mention the DHCP renew error, will continue to read more). Looks like I can ignore the ranging response message.

Now I just need to find out if there is a problem with my superhub, it has never lost connection like this during the previous power (electricity) outages.

You can indeed ignore the DHCP messages, and the No Ranging Response notifications are only an issue if you get a number of them happening in close succession, one or two every couple of days (you need to check the timestamp on them) is perfectly OK.

It is possible that the sudden loss and restoration of power corrupted something in the Hubs configuration so it didn't actually reboot cleanly, a full reset and couple of reboots was probably enough to clear out the corrupted values and allow the hub to start up and for you to re-configure it.

I hear what you are saying (and I appreciate the response) but it's far from ideal to reset the Superhub following an outage (what if I'm not at home to do a reset) plus we have some-what frequent power outages in our area and don't recall having to do this before.

I've had a superhub 3 for around ten years now but this one was a new one following the problems I had last year, I wonder if it is defective somehow.

What own router do you have?

I agree you should not need to reset it.

You could pull the plug for testing to see if it happens again.
---------------------------------------------------------------

It's an Asus, good idea on the power test - great minds, I have pulled the power out the back of the Superhub (usually in frustration lol) to reset it, will do one more from the socket end to see what happens (though I bet it'll come back perfectly lol).

Is it a mesh? or one that has a WAN port?
---------------------------------------------------------------

Yes and yes, it has a wan port and is the access point connected to other asus mesh nodes.