cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media Rubbish WiFi, Network Connectivity and Speed Issues - Surbiton Area

gwahalatantri
Tuning in

Hi There,

I subscribe to the Virgin Media M350 Fibre Broadband service. Including phone and TV packages we pay £97.30 a month.

This is a lot of money for the drastically degraded broadband service we are currently experiencing. I am extremely disappointed and frustrated with service and am seriously thinking about moving to another provider, despite being a loyal customer for some years now.

I live in Surbiton in Surrey and during the last 6 months in particular the broadband speed and connectivity has been atrocious, both wired and wireless. I am paying for an "up to 350Mbps" service and am barely getting ADSL/Dial Up speeds. Below is a list of issues I am currently experiencing:

• Very poor WiFi connectivity in any room within our property
  • Even when I am in the room the router is in over WiFi I get 5.48Mbps Down and 14.1 Mbps Upload
  • Sometimes the WiFi drops out totally
  • The router randomly restarts itself
  • When I am using Wired Power over Ethernet I get 56.29 Down and 26.42 Upload
  • Constantly have to reboot router, but this does not improve service

I am on my 2nd Superhub 3.0 as well. Something is seriously wrong with the Virgin Infrastructure. It's frustrating that Virgin have discontinued the Technical Live Chat service and now use documented workflow steps on their help and support page. None of the recommended steps work!!!

Virgin Media are meant to have the fastest internet service in the country, but the current service in Surbiton is laughable.

I say this because It appears that I am not the only one in the Surbiton area who is complaining about the poor quality Virgin Media Broadband Service. Here what a Surbiton Mum's Group are saying on their Facebook Forum:

Surbiton Virgin Media Complaint 4.jpegSurbiton Virgin Media Complaint 3.jpeg

Surbiton Virgin Media Complaint 2.jpeg

Surbiton Virgin Media Complaint 1.jpeg

Myself, my wife and both my kids work from home at the moment, and we are struggling to stay online at the same time with the poor service we currently have. Please sort this situation out immediately otherwise you will very shortly lose our custom. I believe the local infrastructure in Surbiton needs to be looked at. There is a bottleneck somewhere which needs to be fixed!

Please get your engineers to look at the service in Surbiton within the next few days and help improve the service urgently!

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Gerard.

12 REPLIES 12

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you do a proper Speedtest not via WiFi and not via powerline but directly to your hub to see if the bottleneck is not your setup? 

The WIFI on any SH is rubbish. Its been like this since it came out in 2009.

But my WIFI is fine. Just read my sig.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?

The speed is slightly better direct from the router, but is far less than 350 Mbps which at one point I used to get - using speedof.me the following speeds where received direct from the router:

• 92.65MBps Down
  • 26.69 Up
  • Latency 18 Ms

So defo appears to be a bottleneck somewhere ☹️

You would probably be better of investing in a decent third party router, that way you can put the Virgin Hub into modem mode and let the router deal with all the traffic. This would give you better wi-fi coverage and if you go for the likes of a wi-fi 6 capable router you would get better speeds, seeing as the VM Hubs are well known for their lack of wi-fi capabilities you would be better of using your own equipment, especially if you are suffering from poor wi-fi coverage and speed.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

Are you based in Surbiton? I was thinking about using an external router too via modem mode too, but I want them to check my service first, as I am sure there is a bottleneck external to the property. I am in tech support too. I've also tried various configuration changes on the router to try and boost the WiFi signal, but there is no improvement - if anything it got worse 😞

Can you please upload your router stats

Type 192.168.0.1 or (192.168.100.1 if you have your Hub in Modem mode) into your address bar at the top of your browser

For Hubs 2 & 3 - DO NOT LOG IN, just click “Check Router Status”

For Hub 4 - When the page appears LOG IN then click on:

Advanced Settings > Tools > Network Status.

Please copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs, if you get a yellow warning just click the Post button again. You can use more than one post for each item if needed.

If you get a warning when you hit “Post” just hit “Post” again and it should work ok!

Please do not use screenshots

Also can you please set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com.

Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here asap.

Under your graph you just created Click (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box and paste it on here

BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup

Hi please click on this link for my router log:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ai90TGFgFcfl5HEpHo57aYkkxDL1?e=NVZj64 

Many thanks,

Gerard.

It's true a 3rd party router will boost your Wi-Fi but since you only getting around 100mb on wired connection you clearly have other issues.

The downstream power levels looks very similar to mine but you only showing 2 of the 4 upstream and they are maxed  at 51.

You should endure the painfull call to customer service and request engineer visit.

----------------------------------------------------------
M125 Volt powered by TP-Link Archer AX55

@sayekm wrote:

It's true a 3rd party router will boost your Wi-Fi but since you only getting around 100mb on wired connection you clearly have other issues.

The downstream power levels looks very similar to mine but you only showing 2 of the 4 upstream and they are maxed  at 51.

You should endure the painfull call to customer service and request engineer visit.

Totally agree, time to get onto VM. Best to ring VM after 8am or alternatively you can wait here for a Virgin staff member to pick it up, typically between 5-10 days, sometime sooner, sometimes later depending on how busy they are.