Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media Peering with OVH

alasdairc
On our wavelength

Hi all,

I hope you are all well

I am having a few issues with what I can only assume is networking peering to OVH. I am a Linux Engineer by trade and also run my own dedicated GAME-2 servers using Proxmox with OVH for various personal purposes, including game servers. I have no issue with Virgin Media overall, but I seem to experience a higher average ping/latency response than most, even more than users who are a further distance away from the data center in Erith, London. These users are on Sky or BT, which uses the Openreach network as you will probably know.

I know it's nothing excessive, and don't want to come across as being awkward but response times to my servers are between 18-24ms, whereas other users of my game services, at a further distance away can be as low as 8ms and <1 ms for those in and around London.

My own set up, here at home, originally was the M500 package with my networking set up as both the Hub 3 in Router mode and also in Modem-only mode with a TP-Link ER605 doing routing. I am now on Gig1, also in modem-only mode, with the TP-Link router. All devices, except mobile phones are on Cat6 ethernet and the "higher" latency is seen across all ethernet devices. 

It's worth noting, I am not having any problems with speed, just latency to services on different peered networks. OVH to OVH services globally (I run Smokeping latency monitoring and also Zabbix ICMP latency monitoring from Canada, Singapore and Australia to the game servers) are absolutely fine so the problem seems to be between Virgin Media to OVH itself

Simple ping from my home to one of the public Failover IP's (also the same results for the physical host itself):

Reply from PUBLICIP: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=49
Reply from PUBLICIP: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=49
Reply from PUBLICIP: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=49
Reply from PUBLICIP: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=49

Any assistance on this, or any additional information you would like, please let me know

Thanks! 

17 REPLIES 17

alasdairc
On our wavelength
@legacy1

Any reason why?

ping 194.168.4.100 and see what you get.
---------------------------------------------------------------

alasdairc
On our wavelength

@legacy1

Reply from 194.168.4.100: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=61

Thats VM local to you DNS if thats 11ms on VM network than that the added RTT plus any QoS/BWM VM do after that that may add latency

alasdairc
On our wavelength

11ms is pretty shocking, considering its "fairly" local to me in location from what I can see... 

Looks to be a caching server

Thats Docsis for you.

alasdairc
On our wavelength

Disappointing..

Well thank you for the pointers - appreciate it

Hi @alasdairc,

Apologies for the delayed response here. Are you continuing to have latency issues today?

If so, would you mind setting up and sharing with us a live BQM so we can have a closer look at the connection, please?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!