cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media Hub 3 red light

SandyF1
Joining in

Hi,

I’ve been having a few connection issues with my hub 3 the last few days. Today it seems to have no internet connection and a solid red light. I’ve tried resetting the device a few times but no luck. I’ve seen that the solid red light means an overheating issue. The hub is in a well ventilated place and has been in the same location for the years I’ve already had it. Do I need a replacement?

many thanks!

Sandy

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Post up a photo so a VM person can assess it when they get here

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

A photo of the light being red? The connection has come back now, but the red light remains!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
There are 50 shades of red on a VM Hub 🙂

Including "Magenta" which means the Hub is in modem mode - or beige, yellow, orangey yellow, redddy orange, etc etc... .

If its in the orange range it probably is just a LED failing issue. If you put it into modem mode does the light change to "magenta" then... when back to router mode does it remain red.

If it is bright red.. its probably still just an LED issue, particularly if it doesnt feel hot/warm but they will swap it for you. Possibly for a refurbished unit rather than a new one.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ok that’s really helpful info, thanks! I am running it in modem mode, so it’s possible that’s why it’s showing that colour, and my connection issues were actually due to some bad cabling within my network!

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @SandyF1

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having with the hub.

The red light indicates that either the router is overheating, or there's an issue with the connection to the LED. 

Please try the below steps

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub. 

• Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and, if at all possible, out of direct sunlight. 

• Then use the power switch to turn the unit back on. The Hub should now operate normally. 

If this doesn't resolve the issue, please let me know and we can arrange a replacement for you. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SandyF1 wrote:

I am running it in modem mode, so it’s possible that’s why it’s showing that colour, and my connection issues were actually due to some bad cabling within my network!

Yes thats most likely.  Put the Hub temporarily back to router mode and the light should turn white-ish - then back to Modem mode.

We can look at the connection if you post up the data like this...

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return. On the first page up dont login (unless you have the Hub4/5 - when you do login) just click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle (Hub3/4) or top/right (SH’s) of the Login page and then Navigate to these “pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi SandyF1,

Just checking in, have you been able to switch the hub back into router mode to check on the light?

Let us know if you do still need help with this.

Alex_Rm